Dr Javad Hashemi
PhD, State University of New York at Buffalo, United States; BS/MS, Sharif University of Technology, Iran
- School of Engineering
- Centre for Sustainable Infrastructure and Digital Construction
- Department of Civil and Construction Engineering
- ATC720 Hawthorn campus
Javad is a Senior Lecturer of Structural Engineering and the Deputy Director of $15 million Smart Structures Laboratory at Swinburne University of Technology. He holds a Bachelor of Science and Masters of Science from Sharif University of Technology, Iran and a PhD from the State University of New York at Buffalo, USA.
Javad's field of research involves the development of knowledge and innovative tools for extreme load performance assessment of complex structures. More specifically, it concentrates on hybrid simulation, where the flexibility and cost-effectiveness of computer simulation are combined with the realism of large-scale experimental testing. Another focus of Javad's research is the design for prefabrication, modularization, and automation in modern construction.
During his PhD studies, Javad was involved in a collaborative multi-institutional research project entitled “NEESR: Collapse Simulation of Multi-Story Building through Hybrid Testing” funded US$1 million by the U.S. National Science Foundation as part of the former NEES research program. The lead institute of the project was Stanford University.
Javad’s research experience has enabled him to make considerable contributions to the advancement of large-scale hybrid simulation and the development of hybrid testing facilities in the USA and Australia. He had a leading role in the development of Australia’s first and only 6-DOF hybrid testing facility, known as the Multi-Axis Substructure Testing (MAST) system, at Swinburne. The $2 million cutting-edge facility was an investment by Swinburne, Australian Research Council, and 11 other Australian universities.
Hybrid Simulation; Large-Scale Experimental Testing; Engineering for Extreme Loads
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Fields of Research
- Structural Engineering - 400510
- Earthquake Engineering - 400506
Design of Steel Structures; Design of Concrete Structures; Building Design
- 2017, National, WH Warren Medal, Board of the College of Civil Engineers of Engineers Australia
- 2016, National, Excellence Award for Innovation, Research and Development (High Commendation), Engineers Australia
Also published as: Hashemi, Javad; Hashemi, J.; Hashemi, M. J.; Hashemi, M. Javad
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2021: Assessment of drywall partitions for creaking noise using multi-axis cyclic testing *; Knauf Australia
- 2021: Australian Coal Industry's Research Program *; Monash University
- 2021: Collapse capacity of timber support system in underground coal mines *; Strata Worldwide Fund Scheme
- 2021: Development and Conduct of Fatigue and Durability Testing of Vehicle Coupling Systems *; Bisitecniks Pty Ltd
- 2021: Snowy 2.0 Design & Component Testing *; Snowy Hydro Limited - Fund Scheme
- 2021: Structural performance assessment of innovative special-made NLT floor panels *; Oz Build Construction Pty Ltd
- 2020: Australian Coal Industry's Research Program - HDR/PhD degree stipend *; Monash University
- 2020: Development of an innovative light steel wall framing system for superior serviceability performance *; Department of Industry, Innovation and Science
- 2020: Life-Cycle Assessment of B-Safe and Other Chain Tensioners Used in Road Transport through Real-Time Hybrid Simulation *; Bluescope Steel Limited
- 2020: Life-Cycle Assessment of Maxibinder Chain Tensioners Used in Road Transport through Accelerated Wear Testing *; Bluescope Steel Limited
- 2020: Serviceability performance assessment of innovative drywall partitions using multi-axis cyclic testing *; Knauf Australia
- 2019: Squash testing of Crib-Lock timber components used in mining engineering applications *; Mine Timber Technology (Aust)
- 2019: Squash testing of Link-N-Lock timber components used in mining engineering applications *; Glencore Coal Assets Australia
- 2019: Structural performance assessment of an innovative timber panel element for sustainable construction *; Timberworks (VIC) PTY LTD
- 2018: Seismic Assessment of Non-Structural Ceiling Components through Axial Testing *; USG Boral Building Products Pty Ltd
- 2017: Collaborative framework for large-scale structural testing between New Zealand research institutions and Swinburne University of Technology *; University of Auckland
- 2017: Performance assessment of stud wall internal intersections under horizontal service and ultimate loading *; Rondo Building Services Research Contracts
- 2017: Structural performance assessment of an innovative timber panel element under three-dimension service/ultimate loads *; Timberworks (VIC) PTY LTD
- 2016: Assessing the impact of exterior accessories on airbag deployment. *; Frontline Australia
* Chief Investigator