Associate Professor Javad Hashemi
PhD, State University of New York at Buffalo, United States; BS/MS, Sharif University of Technology, Iran
- School of Engineering
- Centre for Sustainable Infrastructure and Digital Construction
- Department of Civil and Construction Engineering
- ATC720 Hawthorn campus
Javad is an Associate Professor of Structural Engineering and the Deputy Director of the $15 million Smart Structures Laboratory at Swinburne University of Technology. He is a Chartered Member of Engineers Australia and the National Engineering Register (MIEAust CPEng NER). He holds a Bachelor of Science and Masters of Science from Sharif University of Technology, Iran and a PhD from the State University of New York at Buffalo, USA.
During his PhD studies, Javad worked on a multi-institutional research project: "NEESR: Collapse Simulation of Multi-Story Building through Hybrid Testing." Funded by the U.S. National Science Foundation, the project was worth US$1 million and led by Stanford University. Javad's research experience has made significant contributions to the development of large-scale hybrid simulation and the advancement of hybrid testing facilities in the USA and Australia. He played a leading role in developing Australia's first and only 6-DOF hybrid testing facility, known as the Multi-Axis Substructure Testing (MAST) system, at Swinburne. The cutting-edge facility, which cost $2 million, was an investment by Swinburne, Australian Research Council, and 11 other Australian universities.
Javad is an accomplished researcher who has made significant contributions to various industries through his interests in resilient and sustainable structures and infrastructure. He is particularly passionate about hybrid simulation for extreme events, as well as the repair and retrofit of structures using innovative materials and techniques. Furthermore, Javad is actively involved in researching automation, prefabrication, and modularization in modern construction. Javad's expertise and research have had a substantial impact on the fields of structural engineering and construction, and he continues to drive innovation in these areas.
Advanced Structural Engineering; Earthquake Engineering
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Fields of Research
- Structural Engineering - 400510
- Earthquake Engineering - 400506
Design of Steel Structures; Building Design Project
- 2017, National, WH Warren Medal, Board of the College of Civil Engineers of Engineers Australia
- 2016, National, Excellence Award for Innovation, Research and Development (High Commendation), Engineers Australia
- 2009, International, National Science Foundation (USA) PhD Scholarship, State University of New York at Buffalo
Also published as: Hashemi, Javad; Hashemi, J.; Hashemi, M. J.; Hashemi, M. Javad; Javad Hashemi, M.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2022: Compliance assessment of brick veneer ties on steel framed structures *; National Association of Steel-framed Housing Inc.
- 2022: Development and conduct of fatigue and durability testing of vehicle coupling systems *; Bisitecniks Pty Ltd
- 2022: Development of a Primary Spring Dynamic Fatigue Load Testing *; Mackay Consolidated Industries P/L - Partnership
- 2022: Innovative laminated timber panel wall element for sustainable construction *; Timberworks (VIC) PTY LTD
- 2022: Second generation innovative light steel wall framing system for superior serviceability performance *; Schaffer & Co Pty Ltd
- 2021: Assessment of drywall partitions for creaking noise using multi-axis cyclic testing *; Knauf Australia
- 2021: Australian Coal Industry's Research Program *; Monash University
- 2021: Collapse capacity of timber support system in underground coal mines *; Strata Worldwide Fund Scheme
- 2021: Development and Conduct of Fatigue and Durability Testing of Vehicle Coupling Systems *; Bisitecniks Pty Ltd
- 2021: Optimising the Cablebolt Pre-Tensioning Practice to Control Roadway Roof Failure Using Advanced Combined Axial and Shear Testing Facility *; Australian Coal Research Limited - Partnership
- 2021: Performance assessment of non-structural partitions and ceiling system for serviceability using multi-axis cyclic testing *; Etex Australia Pty Ltd Fund Scheme
- 2021: Snowy 2.0 Design & Component Testing *; Snowy Hydro Limited - Fund Scheme
- 2021: Structural performance assessment of innovative special-made NLT floor panels *; Oz Build Construction Pty Ltd
- 2020: Development of an innovative light steel wall framing system for superior serviceability performance *; Department of Industry, Innovation and Science
- 2020: Life-Cycle Assessment of B-Safe and Other Chain Tensioners Used in Road Transport through Real-Time Hybrid Simulation *; Bluescope Steel Limited
- 2020: Life-Cycle Assessment of Maxibinder Chain Tensioners Used in Road Transport through Accelerated Wear Testing *; Bluescope Steel Limited
- 2020: Serviceability performance assessment of innovative drywall partitions using multi-axis cyclic testing *; Knauf Australia
- 2019: Squash testing of Crib-Lock timber components used in mining engineering applications *; Mine Timber Technology (Aust)
- 2019: Squash testing of Link-N-Lock timber components used in mining engineering applications *; Glencore Coal Assets Australia
- 2019: Structural performance assessment of an innovative timber panel element for sustainable construction *; Timberworks (VIC) PTY LTD
- 2018: Seismic Assessment of Non-Structural Ceiling Components through Axial Testing *; USG Boral Building Products Pty Ltd
- 2017: Collaborative framework for large-scale structural testing between New Zealand research institutions and Swinburne University of Technology *; University of Auckland
- 2017: Performance assessment of stud wall internal intersections under horizontal service and ultimate loading *; Rondo Building Services Research Contracts
- 2017: Structural performance assessment of an innovative timber panel element under three-dimension service/ultimate loads *; Timberworks (VIC) PTY LTD
- 2016: Assessing the impact of exterior accessories on airbag deployment. *; Frontline Australia
* Chief Investigator