Professor Gavin Lambert
Professor Lambert is the Director of the Iverson Health Innovation Research Institute. He is a Fellow of both the American Heart Association (FAHA) and the International Society of Hypertension (ISHF), and was formerly Head of the Human Neurotransmitters Laboratory at the Baker Heart & Diabetes Institute. He is a neurochemist/clinical research scientist and his research focus includes psychological stress, hypertension and obesity. The breadth of his work reflects the protean nature of the sympathetic nervous system which is implicit in the physiology of an array of biological systems. He has worked previously in Sweden and France, has ongoing local, national and international collaborations.
Ongoing research projects include:
- Psychological stress and the heart – understanding the mechanisms of cardiac risk.
- Renal denervation in patients with resistant hypertension.
- The impact of overweight and obesity on cardiovascular health in young adults.
- Sympathetic neural activity in patients with fatty liver disease.
- Understanding the role of the sympathetic nervous system in congenital heart disease (Fontan physiology and coarctation of the aorta).
- Investigating the association between the sympathetic nervous system and delayed cord clamping in preterm infants.
- Sympathetic activation in polycystic ovary disease - a target for therapy?
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Fields of Research
- Medical Physiology - 320800
Also published as: Lambert, Gavin; Lambert, G.; Lambert, G. W.; Lambert, Gavin W.; Lambert, Gavin William
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2019: AstroMedical Innovation: Astronomy-inspired, data-driven approaches for medical imaging and diagnosis *; CASS Foundation Science and Medicine Grants
- 2019: Industry Engagement Seed Grant: Astro-medical Innovation *; Astronomy Australia Limited
- 2018: A randomised control trial of Uprise for university students *; Medibank Private Limited Fund Scheme
- 2018: Developing and using VR, AR or Mixed reality for the management of chronic pain *; Medibank Private Limited Fund Scheme
- 2018: Landscape review of maternity services education in Victoria *; VMIA State-Wide Maternity Services Program
- 2017: Cardiovascular Neuroscience: Understanding the Links between the Brain and Heart *; NHMRC Research Fellowship
- 2017: Targeting the sympathetic nervous system to reduce the burden of fatty liver disease *; NHMRC Project Grants
* Chief Investigator
There are no media items to display