Professor Emma Sherry
PhD, Deakin University, Australia; Masters of Sport Management, Deakin University, Australia; Bachelor of Arts, University of Melebourne, Australia
- Swinburne Business School
- Sport Innovation Research Group
- Department of Management and Marketing
- BA923 Hawthorn campus
- ORCID profile
Emma Sherry specialises in the area of sport for development. Emma has completed a Bachelor of Arts at the University of Melbourne and a Masters of Business (Sport Management) and PhD at Deakin University. Emma's PhD studies investigated conflict of interest in the Australian Football League.
Emma’s current research interests include community development through sport activities, undertaking a broad range of research projects with national and regional sport organisations in Australia and globally including the Commonwealth Secretariat, Victorian Government, VicHealth, Netball Australia, National Rugby League, Australian Football League, and Tennis Australia. Other recent research has included access and equity in sport participation, sport in correctional facilities, and sport and recreation for at-risk and marginalised communities. Emma is currently supervising a number of PhD students in the areas of: sport and environmental sustainability, digital tracking of athletes, open space exercise equipment, sport leadership, sport innovation, and social impact of sport for Australian Indigenous communities.
Emma is on the editorial board of Journal of Sport Management, Sport Management Review, European Sport Management Quarterly, and Communications and Sport Journal.
Outside of her academic career, Emma has worked in roles in the area of sport facility and event management and recreation management within the local government and university sport sectors. Emma has extensive sport industry experience as a board director, including roles with Vicsport, Tennis Victoria and the Melbourne and Olympic Park Trust. Emma currently sits on the Advisory Board of the Australian Sport Innovation Centre of Excellence, and as a director for the National Disability Sport Organisation - Sport Inclusion Australia.
Social impact; Sport Management; Sport for Development; Governance
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Fields of Research
- Sport And Leisure Management - 350405
- 2014, National, AICD Scholarship, Victorian Government
Also published as: Sherry, Emma; Sherry, E.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2023: SOCIAL CONNECTION RESEARCH *; City of Stonnington (for Contracts)
- 2022: A proposal for reconciliation Australia *; Reconciliation Australia Fund Scheme
- 2022: Active Stonnington Measurement & Evaluation *; City of Stonnington (for Contracts)
- 2022: Collecting participation data on young LGBTQI in sport & physical activity *; VicHealth Impact Research Grants
- 2022: Pacific Football: Contribution to the Sustainable Development Goals. *; International Olympic Committee
- 2022: PREVENTING VIOLENCE THROUGH SPORT PROGRAM *; Merri Community Health Services - Fund Scheme
- 2022: Social Impact Measurement *; Tennis Australia
- 2022: Women & Girls ? Monitoring & Evaluation *; Tennis Australia
- 2021: AFL Indigenous Girls Youth Mentoring Program *; Australian Football League
- 2021: Coaching for Flourishing in Retirement *; Emergency Services Foundation Partnership
- 2021: Exploring First Nations inclusion in Australian Tennis *; Tennis Australia
- 2021: Giving Active Recreation a Sporting Chance: A Comparative Analysis of Infrastructure Types on Physical Activity *; A_Space Australia Pty Ltd
- 2021: Research Consultancy: The Value of the National Aquatic Industry *; Royal Life Saving Society Australia Fund Scheme
- 2021: Sydney Sixers Evaluation Program *; Sydney Sixers Cricket Team FS
- 2020: AFL Youth Mentoring Pilot Program *; Australian Football League
- 2019: AFL NSW/ACT Academy Social Impact and Social Return on Investment Research ? Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Programs *; Australian Football League
- 2019: Assessing the Social Impact of AFL to Australian Indigenous and Multicultural Communities *; Australian Football League
- 2019: Bachar Houli Foundation evaluation *; Richmond Football Club
- 2019: Change Our Game initiatives evaluation *; Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions
- 2019: Measuring Collective Impact of Sport Policy on the Sustainable Development Goals *; Commonwealth Secretariat
- 2018: 2018 visiting fellowship scheme - Dr Jon Welty Peachey *; Swinburne Research, DVCR&D - Internal contributions
- 2018: Pacific Sports Partnership Program *; Tennis Australia
- 2018: Review of Australian Sport Diplomacy Strategy 2015-18 *; Australian Government Department of Health
- 2018: Social Impact and Social Return on Investment (Multicultural study) *; Australian Football League
- 2017: Piloting gender equality and prevention of violence interventions in sports *; Department of Premier & Cabinet Victoria
* Chief Investigator