Associate Professor Emma Sherry
PhD, Deakin University, Australia; Masters of Sport Management, Deakin University, Australia; Bachelor of Arts, University of Melebourne, Australia
- Faculty of Business and Law
- Swinburne Business School
- Sport Innovation Research Group
- Department of Management and Marketing
- BA1105 Hawthorn campus
- ORCID profile
Emma Sherry is an Associate Professor at Swinburne University, specialising in the area of sport for development and is currently Department Chair for Management and Marketing in the Swinburne Business School. Emma has completed a Bachelor of Arts at the University of Melbourne and a Masters of Business (Sport Management) and PhD at Deakin University. Emma's PhD studies investigated conflict of interest in the Australian Football League.
Emma’s current research interests include community development through sport activities, undertaking a broad range of research projects with national and regional sport organisations in Australia and globally including the Commonwealth Secretariat, Victorian Government, VicHealth, Netball Australia, National Rugby League, Australian Football League, and Tennis Australia. Other recent research has included access and equity in sport participation, sport in correctional facilities, and sport and recreation for at-risk and marginalised communities. Emma is currently supervising a number of PhD students in the areas of: sport for development, elite athlete career transition and social impact of sport for Australian Indigenous communities.
Emma is on the editorial board of Journal of Sport Management, Sport Management Review, Communications and Sport Journal, and Sport Business Management: an International Journal.
Outside of her academic career, Emma has worked in roles in the area of sport facility and event management and recreation management within the local government and university sport sectors. Emma is the President of Tennis Victoria, and sits as a Trustee on the Melbourne Olympic Park Trust (appointed). Emma was awarded with a 2014 Victorian Women's Governance Scholarship by the Victorian Minister for Women's Affairs to complete the highly respected Company Directors course through the Australian Institute of Company Directors and graduated from this course in January 2015.
Social impact; Sport Management; Sport for Development; Governance
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Fields of Research
- Sport And Leisure Management - 150404
- 2014, National, AICD Scholarship, Victorian Government
Also published as: Sherry, Emma; Sherry, E.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2019: AFL NSW/ACT Academy Social Impact and Social Return on Investment Research Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Programs *; Australian Football League
- 2019: Assessing the Social Impact of AFL to Australian Indigenous and Multicultural Communities *; Australian Football League
- 2019: Bachar Houli Foundation evaluation *; Richmond Football Club
- 2019: Change Our Game initiatives evaluation *; Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions
- 2019: Measuring Collective Impact of Sport Policy on the Sustainable Development Goals *; CommonwealthSecretariat_PT
- 2018: 2018 visiting fellowship scheme -Dr Jon Welty Peachey *; Swinburne Contribution
- 2018: Pacific Sports Partnership Program *; Tennis Australia
- 2018: Review of Australian Sport Diplomacy Strategy 2015-18 *; Australian Government Department of Health
- 2018: Social Impact and Social Return on Investment (Multicultural study) *; Australian Football League
- 2017: NRL PNG and Pacific 2017-2020 Research Program *; National Rugby League
- 2017: Piloting gender equality and prevention of violence interventions in sports *; Department of Premier & Cabinet Victoria
* Chief Investigator