Associate Professor Christopher Fluke
- Faculty of Science, Engineering & Technology
- School of Science
- Centre for Astrophysics and Supercomputing
- Department of Physics and Astronomy
- AR204 Hawthorn campus
- ORCID profile
Associate Professor Christopher Fluke is an astronomer and astronomy communicator at Swinburne’s Centre for Astrophysics and Supercomputing. His primary research interests are in techniques for 3D visualisation with applications in astronomy and biomaterials, and the use of graphics processing units (GPUs) to accelerate the rate of astronomical discovery.
Currently, Dr Fluke is examining opportunities for using GPU-computing clusters to solve the visualisation and data analysis challenges of the petascale data era.
Dr Fluke is the inaugural Director of the Advanced Visualisation Laboratory within the Digital Innovation Capability Platform, and was awarded an Innovation Fellowship to work with Swinburne’s Innovation Precinct.
GPU and advanced HPC algorithms; Astronomy Visualisation; Scientific Visualisation; Gravitational Lensing
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Coordinating Supervisor.
Fields of Research
- Astronomical And Space Instrumentation - 020102
- Cosmology And Extragalactic Astronomy - 020103
- Virtual Reality And Related Simulation - 080111
3D Astronomy Animations and Movies;Advanced Statistics and Big Data;Scientific Computing and Visualisation;Data Visualisation
- 2015, National, David Allen Prize - Swinburne Astronomy Productions, Astronomical Society of Australia
- 2012, Swinburne, Vice Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching (Higher Education) - SAO Core Team, Swinburne University of Technology
- 2012, National, Citation for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning - SAO Core Team, Office for Learning & Teaching
- 2006, Swinburne, Vice Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Entrepreneurship - Swinburne Spaceworks Team, Swinburne University of Technology
- 2000, Other, Victoria Fellowship, Victorian State Government
- 1995, Other, Laby Prize, Australian Institute of Physics
Also published as: Fluke, Christopher; Fluke, C.; Fluke, C. J.; Fluke, Chris J.; Fluke, Christopher J.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, contact us to update.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2017: Media art as urban storytelling: Australian opportunities for data-driven content on large format screens *; MIRVAC Funding Scheme
- 2014: Support Operations of gSTAR - 2013/14 -2014/15 and 205-2016 *; Astronomy Australia Limited
* Chief Investigator
- 2015-06-17: Swinburne Universityâ€™s Centre for Astrophysics and Supercomputing welcomes 25,000th AstroTour visitor - Leader (Inner East)
- 2013-07-12: Pictures of Home - The Age
- 2013-04-26: The lone rangers - The Age
- 2013-04-12: Mysterious Worlds - The Age
- 2009-07-12: Infrared could shed light on secrets of cosmos - The Age
- 2009-04-03: Astronomers compile most detailed map of nearby universe - Universe Today
- 2009-04-03: Most detailed map of nearby universe completed - Astronomy Magazine
- 2009-04-02: Galaxy quest illuminates dark corners of the universe - Sydney Morning Herald
- 2009-01-10: Night Watch - The Age