- School of Science
- Centre for Astrophysics and Supercomputing
- Department of Physics and Astronomy
- AR303 Hawthorn campus
Professor Chris Blake is an observational cosmologist with research interests in large-scale structure, dark energy and gravity, and galaxy evolution. His research examines questions concerning how the universe was made, what it is formed of, and the physical laws that govern its evolution.
Professor Blake’s particular expertise is in constructing large maps that show the way galaxies are scattered through space and in determining what galaxy distribution tells us about the physics of the universe. He is involved in a number of current and future galaxy and lensing survey projects such as the WiggleZ Survey at the Australian Astronomical Observatory, the 6dF Galaxy Survey, the GAMA Survey, and the Kilo-Degree Imaging Survey (KiDS).
Prior to joining the Centre for Astrophysics and Supercomputing at Swinburne, Professor Blake previously held postdoctoral positions at the University of New South Wales and the University of British Columbia in Vancouver.
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Fields of Research
- Cosmology And Extragalactic Astronomy - 510103
- 2013, National, Australian Academy of Science Pawsey Medal, Swinburne
- 2011, National, Australian Research Council Future Fellowship, Swinburne
Also published as: Blake, Chris; Blake, C.; Blake, Christopher; Blake, C. A.; Blake, Chris A.; Blake, Christopher A.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2022: Precision cosmic expansion in the era of gravitational-wave astronomy *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
- 2018: 2018 Visiting Fellowships Scheme - Professor Michael Hudson *; Swinburne Research, DVCR&D - Internal contributions
- 2016: The Taipan Survey - Cosmology in the Nearby Universe *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
- 2015: The Australian European Southern Observatory Positioner (AESOP) *; ARC Linkage Infrastructure and Equipment Scheme - For funding commencing in 2015
- 2014: TAIPAN - a spectrograph to survey the southern sky *; ARC Linkage Infrastructure and Equipment Scheme
- 2012: Measuring the physics of the Universe with Australian galaxy surveys *; ARC Future Fellowships
- 2011: ARC Centre of Excellence for All-sky Astrophysics *; ARC Centre of Excellence Scheme
- 2011: Mass Assembly of Galaxies In the Cosmos: the roles of stars, gas, and metals *; ARC Super Science Fellowships
- 2010: The fundamental physics governing the formation of cosmic structure *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
- 2008: Cosmological simulations of future radio surveys *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
* Chief Investigator
There are no media items to display