- FHAD Faculty Central Office
Graduated BA (1970), MA (Qual) (1973) and PhD (1981) from the University of Queensland. Career has included academic positions in Political Science and History at UQ (1971-77), QUT (1974-75),Chisholm Institute of Technology (1978-90) and Monash University (1990-2005) Appointed to Swinburne University of Technology in 2005 as Professor of Victorian State Parliamentary Democracy—Emeritus since 2016. Research interests are in Australian politics, particularly electoral systems and behaviour, the National Party of Australia and Victorian and Queensland State Politics.
He has published in academic journals such as The Australian Journal of Political Science, Australian Journal of Politics and History, Labour History, Australasian Parliamentary Review and Political Science (NZ). Books include: Electoral Democracy: Australian Prospects, MUP, 2011 (co-editor), Limiting Democracy: The Erosion of Electoral Rights in Australia, UNSW Press, 2006 (co-author), The Victorian Premiers 1856-2006, Federation Press, 2006 (co-editor) and numerous chapters in academic monographs.
Parliamentary institutions and processes; Elections and electoral systems; Victorian State Politics; Politics of the Constitution; Rural politics
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Fields of Research
- Historical Studies - 430300
- Australian Government And Politics - 440801
Also published as: Costar, Brian; Costar, B.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2013: Electoral Fraud Research Literature Review *; Australian Electoral Commission
- 2010: Dollars and Democracy: The dynamics of Australian political finance and its regulation *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
* Chief Investigator
- 2014-11-27: Victorian election: record number of people cast their vote early - The Guardian
- 2014-11-01: John Howard gets to grips with the Robert Menzies legacy - The Age
- 2014-07-06: In the senate, below or above the line you decide - The Age
- 2013-11-15: Speaker Ken Smith impasse continues as Governor powerless to act - Saturday Age
- 2013-09-17: Napthine govt could fall after MP charged - Australian Financial Review
- 2013-09-16: Playing games of politics - The Australian
- 2013-09-12: Rebels with a cause - Inside Story
- 2013-09-10: Senate not democratic claim experts following micro party victories - ABC Radio
- 2013-09-09: Simplifying the Senate - Inside Story
- 2013-09-06: Abbott sure Mirabella can retain - Inside Story
- 2013-09-06: Mirabella could be in a spot of bother - The Border Mail
- 2013-09-05: McGowan finds her voice in Indi - Weekly Times Now
- 2013-09-03: Lib preference Family First in Higgins - Stonnington Leader
- 2013-09-02: Debunking the myth of the electoral messiah - The Age
- 2013-08-12: Political donations: now for some real disclosure - The Age
- 2013-08-09: CSG resistance fuels party - Weekly Times Now
- 2013-08-08: Political donations: the real-time disclosure option - Inside Story
- 2012-09-20: Watchdog fails to disclose free trip - WA today
- 2012-03-27: Wipeout 2012 - Inside Story
- 2012-02-03: Old figures, new money - Inside Story