Dr Andrea Phillipou
PhD, The University of Melbourne , Australia; Bachelor of Science (Honours) (Pyschophysiology), Swinburne University of Technology, Australia; Bachelor of Science (Psychology & Psychophysiology), Swinburne University of Technology, Australia
- Faculty of Health, Arts & Design
- School of Health Sciences
- Centre for Mental Health
- AMDC711 Hawthorn campus
Dr Andrea Phillipou is a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the Centre for Mental Health at Swinburne University and leads the Body Image Disorders research portfolio at St Vincent's Hospital, Melbourne. She completed her PhD entitled 'Investigating the neurobiological and cognitive features of anorexia nervosa' at The University of Melbourne from Feb 2012 to Feb 2015. Her research is interested in uncovering the neurobiological underpinnings of anorexia nervosa and other body image disorders to improve treatment for these conditions. She is experienced in the use of various methodologies including the use of neurocognitive assessements, eyetracking, structural and functional magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and magnetoencephalography (MEG).
Clinical Psychology; Cognitive Psychology; Neuroscience
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Associate.
Available to supervise honours students.
Honours topics and outlines
Eye movement assessment: Different groups of individuals have different methods for scanning stimuli. This research is interested in uncovering where people look and the scanning strategies used by different groups (e.g. males vs females; clinical groups vs healthy controls).
Neurocognition in body image and eating disorders: Current projects include assessing neurocognitive abilities in eating disorders (including anorexia and bulimia nervosa), and body image concerns broadly.
Fields of Research
- Neurosciences - 110900
- Psychology - 170100
- 2016, International, Early Career Investigator International Travel Fellowship Award, Society of Biological Psychiatry
- 2015, Other, David Hay Memorial Fund Award, The University of Melbourne
- 2012, National, Australian Postgraduate Award, The University of Melbourne
Also published as: Phillipou, Andrea; Phillipou, A.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, contact us to update.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2017: An investigation of neurocognitive abnormalities in anorexia nervosa. *; Barbara Dicker Brain Science grant
- 2017: Investigating the relationship between glutathione, mood and memory *; Barbara Dicker Brain Science grant
* Chief Investigator