Dr Andrea Phillipou
PhD, The University of Melbourne , Australia; Bachelor of Science (Honours) (Pyschophysiology), Swinburne University of Technology, Australia; Bachelor of Science (Psychology & Psychophysiology), Swinburne University of Technology, Australia
- Faculty of Health, Arts & Design
- School of Health Sciences
- Centre for Mental Health
- AMDC711 Hawthorn campus
Dr Andrea Phillipou is a Research Fellow in the Centre for Mental Health at Swinburne University, and holds honorary Research Fellow positions at The University of Melbourne, St Vincent's Hospital and the Austin Hospital. She leads the Eating Disorders research agenda at Swinburne University and the Body Image & Eating Disorders research portfolio at St Vincent's Hospital, Melbourne. She completed her PhD entitled 'Investigating the neurobiological and cognitive features of anorexia nervosa' at The University of Melbourne from Feb 2012-Feb 2015. She has since published >40 peer-reviewed publications and 2 book chapters, and has received >$1 million in competitive research funding including a recent NHMRC Project Grant (CIA).
Dr Phillipou's primary research interests are in uncovering the neurobiological underpinnings of anorexia nervosa to improve treatment for this condition. Her research is also particularly interested in identifying biomarkers that can be used as objective tools for the diagnosis of anorexia nervosa and other psychiatric conditions.
Dr Phillipou is experienced in the use of various methodologies including the use of neurocognitive assessements, structural and functional magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and magnetoencephalography (MEG). She holds particular expertise in eye movement assessments and eyetracking, as well as visual perception and neuroscience.
Find out more about Dr Phillipou's research using the links below:
Clinical Psychology; Cognitive Psychology; Neuroscience
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Associate Supervisor.
Available to supervise honours students.
Fields of Research
- Neurosciences - 110900
- Psychology - 170100
- 2018, National, Knowledge & Learning Travel Grant, Ian Potter Foundation
- 2018, International, Journal of Eating Disorders Best Poster by a Young Investigator, Eating Disorders Research Society
- 2017, Swinburne, First Prize, Early Career Researcher Presentation Award, Swinburne University of Technology
- 2016, International, Early Career Investigator International Travel Fellowship Award, Society of Biological Psychiatry
- 2015, Other, David Hay Memorial Fund Award, The University of Melbourne
- 2012, National, Australian Postgraduate Award, The University of Melbourne
Also published as: Phillipou, Andrea; Phillipou, A.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2018: Identifying the physical and psychological factors involved in poor sleep in anorexia nervosa *; Barbara Dicker Brain Science grant
- 2018: The impact of depression on the cardiovascular and autonomic profile in people with anorexia nervosa *; Barbara Dicker Brain Science grant
- 2018: Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation (tDCS) for Anorexia Nervosa *; Swiss Anorexia Nervosa Foundation Fund Scheme
- 2018: Travel to European Congress of Neuropsychopharmacology (ECNP) 2018 *; Centre for Mental Health - Internal contributions
- 2017: An investigation of neurocognitive abnormalities in anorexia nervosa. *; Barbara Dicker Brain Science grant
- 2017: Investigating the relationship between glutathione, mood and memory *; Barbara Dicker Brain Science grant
* Chief Investigator
- 2018-12-31: 3AW News with Donna Domaio - 3AW
- 2018-12-31: A Melbourne researcher is hopeful a breakthrough in diagnosis and treatment for anorexia is finally within reach - Ten News First
- 2018-12-31: Beyond just body issues: Melbourne researcher to lead national push to better understand anorexia nervosa - Herald Sun
- 2018-12-31: Live interview: Breakfast with Meshel Laurie - ABC Radio
- 2018-12-31: Live interview: Drive with Nick McCallum - 3AW
- 2018-12-31: Support for anorexia nervosa medical research - Minister for Health, The Hon. Greg Hunt - Media Release
- 2018-12-31: The Project - Channel 10
- 2018-10-18: How 'mad' are you? - SBS
- 2015-01-27: Study linking eye movements to anorexia hailed as groundbreaking - SBS World News
- 2015-01-26: Anorexia revealed in ‘jerky’ eyes, says study - The Age
- 2015-01-26: Vic research discovers anorexia ‘marker’ - Australian Associative Press