Associate Professor Anthony McCosker
- Faculty of Health, Arts & Design
- School of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities
- Department of Media and Communication
- AS412 Hawthorn campus
Anthony McCosker is Associate Professor in Media and Communications in the Faculty of Health, Arts and Design, and Deputy Director of the Social Innovation Research Institute. He is also Swinburne Node Leader and CI for the ARC Centre of Excellence in Automated Decision Making and Society (2020-2027). His research addresses digital inclusion and participation, and the impacts and uses of social media and new communication technologies, particularly in relation to health and wellbeing. Current research also addresses the social issues related to automation and machine vision technologies and media, and the need for community led approaches to data and analytics. He is author of the books Automating Vision: The Social Impact of the New Camera Consciousness (Routledge 2020), and Intensive Media: Aversive Affect and Visual Culture (Palgrave Macmillan, 2013), and co-editor of the book Negotiating Digital Citizenship: Control, Contest and Culture (Rowman & Littlefield Int, 2016). He has published a numerous Journal articles and book chapters. Anthony has previously developed and has been the Academic Director of Swinburne's innovative Social Media Major within the Bachelor of Media and Communication and Bachelor of Arts.
Current research projects address broad issues of "digital citizenship" and uneven experiences of technology within digital society, particularly among marginalised and vulnerable people. Funded projects target digital and data literacies, social inclusion, humanitarian action and peer-support through innovative social interventions. Anthony is lead researcher for the three-year Impact Evaluation of Be Connected: A Digital Literacies for Older Australians program, in partnership with the Department of Social Services, Office for the eSafety Commissioner, and the Good Things Foundation. He has led a number of research projects combining innovative data analytics methods to produce public impact in partnership with (among others) Beyond Blue, SANE Australia, Royal Flying Doctors Service, Australian Red Cross, Telstra, Boroondara Council and Knox Council, Family Planning New South Wales, ACON, Vic Department of Premier and Cabinet, DXC and Guide Dogs Victoria.
Digital citizenship; social media; New Media; Internet; Digital Health and Wellbeing; Participation and inclusion
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Available to supervise honours students.
Fields of Research
- Communication And Media Studies - 200100
Communication, Journalism and Media Studies;Digital Media, Film and Television;Social Media
Also published as: McCosker, Anthony; McCosker, A.; McCosker, Anthony C.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2021: Advancing digital inclusion in low income Australian families *; ARC Linkage Projects Scheme
- 2020: ARC - Centre of Excellence for Automated Decision-Making and Society *; ARC Centre of Excellence Scheme
- 2020: Improve Your Play *; Office of the eSafety Commissioner
- 2020: Machine Learning Analysis of Obesity Portrayal in News Media *; VicHealth Partnership Grant
- 2020: Optimising the roles of online communities in rural resilience *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
- 2020: Workshop to establish India-Australia Internet of Things Training Academy *; DFAT Australia India Council
- 2019: Proposal to support the Foundation?s review into investing in rural Australian mental health improvement *; The Paul Ramsay Foundation
- 2019: Strengthening the Not for Profit Sector: Data for Good Sandpit *; Entertainment Assist (HPC) Ltd
- 2018: Free from Violence *; Department of Health and Human Services Fund Scheme
- 2018: Measuring social impact and attitudes towards gender and family violence project *; Department of Premier & Cabinet Victoria
- 2018: Safety, risk and wellbeing on digital dating apps *; ACON HEALTH LIMITED
- 2018: Social and Economic Inclusion Evaluation of a Peer Support Platform for People with low vision and blindness *; DXC Technology Pty Ltd
- 2018: Strategic Partnership - Research Institutes Seed Grant 2017 *; Australian Red Cross
- 2017: 60+ Online: Enhancing Social Inclusion through Digital Stories and Social Media Participation *; Boroondara City Council
- 2017: Evaluation of Be Connected: a Digital Literacy for Older Australians Project - RFQ No. 70009747 *; Department of Social Services
- 2017: Suicidal Thoughts & Self Harm Forum Analysis *; beyondblue
* Chief Investigator