Professor Anthony McCosker
- School of Social Sciences, Media, Film and Education
- Department of Media and Communication
- AS412 Hawthorn campus
Anthony McCosker is Professor of Media and Communication in the School of Social Sciences, Media, Film and Education, and Deputy Director of the Social Innovation Research Institute. He leads the Swinburne Node and is a Chief Investigator in the ARC Centre of Excellence in Automated Decision Making and Society (ADM+S) (2020-2027). Anthony's research addresses digital inclusion and participation, and the impacts and uses of new communication technologies, particularly in relation to health and wellbeing and social inclusion. Current research also addresses the social issues related to automation and machine vision technologies and media, and the need for community led approaches to data and analytics. He is author or co-author of the books Everyday Data Cultures (Polity 2022), Automating Vision: The Social Impact of the New Camera Consciousness (Routledge 2020), and Intensive Media: Aversive Affect and Visual Culture (Palgrave Macmillan, 2013), and co-editor of the book Negotiating Digital Citizenship: Control, Contest and Culture (Rowman & Littlefield Int, 2016). He has published a numerous Journal articles and book chapters. Anthony has previously developed Swinburne's innovative Social Media Major within the Bachelor of Media and Communication and Bachelor of Arts.
Current research projects address broad issues of "digital citizenship" and uneven experiences of technology within digital society, particularly among marginalised and vulnerable people. Funded projects target digital and data literacies, social inclusion, humanitarian action and peer-support through innovative social interventions. Anthony was the lead researcher for the four-year Impact Evaluation of Be Connected: A Digital Literacies for Older Australians program, in partnership with the Department of Social Services, Office for the eSafety Commissioner, and Good Things Foundation. He has led a number of research projects combining innovative data analytics methods to produce public impact in partnership with (among others) Beyond Blue, SANE Australia, Royal Flying Doctors Service, Australian Red Cross, Telstra, Boroondara Council and Knox Council, Family Planning New South Wales, ACON, Vic Department of Premier and Cabinet, DXC and Guide Dogs Victoria.
Digital citizenship; social media; New Media; Internet; Digital Health and Wellbeing; Participation and inclusion
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Available to supervise honours students.
Fields of Research
- Communication And Media Studies - 470100
Communication, Journalism and Media Studies;Digital Media, Film and Television;Social Media
Also published as: McCosker, Anthony; McCosker, A.; McCosker, Anthony C.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2022: Australian Data Maturity Assessment *; The Paul Ramsay Foundation
- 2022: Expanding ADII Data Queensland *; Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology
- 2022: Research to support the review of digital connectedness for Senior Victorians *; Department of Families, Fairness and Housing
- 2022: RFQ: Digital Equity and Inclusion Program- Discover Phase - PROC1808 *; Department of Planning, Industry & Environment (NSW)
- 2021: Activating social connection to address isolation in Australia *; ARC Linkage Projects Scheme
- 2021: Advancing digital inclusion in low income Australian families *; ARC Linkage Projects Scheme
- 2021: Collaborative data analytics exploring family safety outcomes *; Department of Health and Human Services Fund Scheme
- 2021: Data mapping and ADM for humanitarian action and preparedness (ADM+S Project Code: 133) *; Australian Red Cross
- 2021: Measuring and Monitoring Digital Inclusion *; Good Things Foundation
- 2020: ARC - Centre of Excellence for Automated Decision-Making and Society *; ARC Centre of Excellence Scheme
- 2020: Australian Digital Inclusion Index 2020-2023 *; Telstra Digital Inclusion Index
- 2020: Improve Your Play *; Office of the eSafety Commissioner
- 2020: Machine Learning Analysis of Obesity Portrayal in News Media *; VicHealth Partnership Grant
- 2020: Optimising the roles of online communities in rural resilience *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
- 2020: Workshop to establish India-Australia Internet of Things Training Academy *; DFAT Australia India Council
- 2019: Proposal to support the Foundation?s review into investing in rural Australian mental health improvement *; The Paul Ramsay Foundation
- 2019: Strengthening the Not for Profit Sector: Data for Good Sandpit *; Lord Mayor's Charitable Fund (LMCF)
- 2018: Measuring social impact and attitudes towards gender and family violence project *; Department of Premier & Cabinet Victoria
- 2018: Safety, risk and wellbeing on digital dating apps *; ARC Linkage Projects Scheme
- 2018: Social and Economic Inclusion Evaluation of a Peer Support Platform for People with low vision and blindness *; DXC Technology Pty Ltd
- 2017: 60+ Online: Enhancing Social Inclusion through Digital Stories and Social Media Participation *; Swinburne Research, DVCR&D - Internal contributions
* Chief Investigator