Professor Anita Kocsis
Professor Anita Kocsis is Director of Design Factory Melbourne, Swinburne University, Melbourne, an interdisciplinary experimental co creation lab, is one of the three core founders of the 30+ international Design Factory Global Network. Anita is a champion of the lab as a model that integrates diverse teams at the interstices between disciplines to work on the big challenges beyond the scope of a single discipline or area of research practice. Kocsis’ collaborations include Aalto Design Factory, IdeaSquare CERN, Nandin, Innovation Precinct, ANSTO and Arena2036, University of Stuttgart.
Anita’s human-first, commercial and academic design and research is implemented in new products, prototypes, and experiences across diverse sectors; astrophysics, arts, academia, and health, including a start up in the museum sector at EPFL Lausanne, as Innovation Fellow at Australian Nuclear Scientific Organisation and member of the Experience Research Society.
Kocsis works at the intersection of academia and industry, spanning the creative industries, design, technology, science, and health for transdisciplinary innovation. Her national and international collaborations are academic and entrepreneurial, where she co-founded a Swiss start-up: muse-visitor experience framework and tool for cultural institutions.
Anita is the driving force behind the DFM brand, dfm.org.au as an exemplar at the nexus of learning and research for future global changemakers. She advises on Innovation practices and standards, and is a core member for ISO Innovation Management, Innovation Standards, Standards Australia and recently appointed to the Global Working group 2, Innovation Terminology, terms, and definitions.
Kocsis recently has fostered a new design factory node in partnership with Nandin, Innovation precinct, Australian Nuclear Scientific Technology Organisation (ANSTO), linking IdeaSquare CERN, focusing on applied innovation for deep technology transfer at the nexus of learning and research. As Innovation Fellow at ANSTO this international collaboration drives the impetus for creativity and design innovation for meaningful deep science and tech translation.
This includes a cohort of PhD’s in ANSTO graduate Institute grounding design research and co creation culture in STEM and entrepreneurship at the nexus. The inclusion of undergraduates, as a research and innovation generator, made possible by DFM challenge-based innovation program is a forerunner of experiential real-world learning. Income overall $2.5mil partnership.
Since 2013 Kocsis has overseen, initiated, or led 100+ interdisciplinary industry partnered projects, with 80+ partners, contributing to the Interdisciplinary research and translation (ARC 2017) and The National Innovation and Science Agenda (NISA) sets a focus on science, research and innovation as long-term drivers of economic prosperity, jobs and growth. (ARC 2019)
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Fields of Research
- Interaction And Experience Design - 330310
- Interactive Media - 360504
- Communications Engineering - 400600
- Electronics, Sensors And Digital Hardware - 400900
Also published as: Kocsis, Anita; Kocsis, A.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2021: DFM: New Application Scenarios and Design of Products and Services for High Performance Materials *; Kyoto Institute of Technology Fund Scheme
- 2021: New Application Scenarios and Design of Products and Services for High Performance Materials *; Kyoto Institute of Technology Fund Scheme
- 2021: Optimising the design and efficiency of technetium generators using design and human centric innovation methodologies *; Australian Nuclear Science & Technology Organisation
- 2021: RFQ: Preventing Financial Abuse of Women ? Safety by Design *; Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet
- 2020: DFM_ Water Innovation project for selfcare and wellbeing *; Hansgrohe SE Fund Scheme
- 2020: DFM_Global 20_21_NKC_Micro-cooling Tech for Camping *; Nakanishi Metal Works Co Fund Scheme
- 2020: The establishment of a a Design Factory node at Nandin *; Australian Nuclear Science & Technology Organisation
- 2019: DFM_Global_19_20_HPI_Narcolepsy Patients *; Hasso Platner Institute
- 2019: DFM_Global_19_20_NKC_Micro-cooling Tech *; Yanmar Fund Scheme
- 2019: DFM_Global_19_29_Yanmar_Distributed/Agriculture *; Yanmar Fund Scheme
- 2019: DFM_WHCG Healthcare Co-Design *; Wimmera Health Care Group
- 2019: Digital Wallets: The impacts, implications and issues *; 460degrees_PT
- 2015: SDF: ANZ placement and scholarships (for 3 x Masters students: Stephanie Rowlands, Hannah Binfield & Alastair Gray). *; ANZ student placement and scholarships
- 2015: The Meaning of experience in social customer-service interaction: Designing services for Chinese Generation Y *; ANZ
- 2014: Industrial Transformation Training Centre in Biodevices and Diagnostics *; ARC Industrial Transformation Training Centres
- 2014: Swinburne Design Factory industry project: Smart textiles applications *; Council of Textile & Fashion Industries of Australia
- 2013: Challenging the tradition: Caulking Guns *; Visy
- 2012: Analysis of the future of publishing: a reich media approach *; Julie Renouf Photographer - Contract
* Chief Investigator
There are no media items to display