Professor Alister Graham
Professor Alister Graham's research deals with the structure and dynamics of galaxies, their dark matter halos, and their central supermassive black holes.
From 2012 to 2016, Alister was a step-2 "Future Fellow" supported by the Australian Research Council. He has been the lead-author of over 50 scientific articles, with 20 of these having attracted more than 100 citations each. Based upon a composite of citation metrics, in 2020 Alister was ranked in the top 0.2% of scientists around the world (doi.org/10.1371/journal.pbio.3000918), and among the top 1% of astronomers in Australia.
Alister has been at Swinburne since 2006, where he conducts astronomical research with PhD students and postdoctoral research associates, and teaches into Swinburne Astronomy Online.
Further information can be found at http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~agraham/
Astronomy; Galaxies; Dark matter; Telescopes and detectors; aurora; black holes
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
PhD topics and outlines
Galaxy Structure and massive black holes: Explore how stars are distributed in galaxy images obtained from both ground-based telescopes and satellites such as Hubble and Spitzer. The structure of galaxies reveals much about how they formed, how they are connected with one another, and also with the massive black holes that reside in their cores.
Available to supervise honours students.
Fields of Research
- Cosmology And Extragalactic Astronomy - 510103
- Galactic Astronomy - 510104
- 2011, National, Future Fellow, step 2, Australian Research Council
- 2007, Swinburne, Vice-Chancellor's Research Excellence Award, Swinburne
Also published as: Graham, Alister; Graham, A.; Graham, A. W.; Graham, Alister W.; Graham, Alister W. McK.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2017: ARC Centre of Excellence for Gravitational Wave Discovery *; ARC Centre of Excellence Scheme
- 2017: From bulges to galaxies: galaxy evolution revealed *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
- 2013: Visiting Researcher Scheme 2013 - Prof Guzman *; Research Advisory Group - Visiting Researcher Scheme 2013
- 2011: Massive black holes in dense star clusters *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
- 2011: The Hearts of Galaxies *; ARC Future Fellowships
- 2010: Probing the connection between the smallest galaxies and the largest star clusters *; ANSTO Access to Major Research Facilities Program
* Chief Investigator
- 2019-04-11: Observing the invisible: the long journey to the first image of a black hole - The Conversation
- 2017-08-02: Find out how to weigh the black hole's mass against the spiral arms of the galaxy - Quantrimang (Vietnamese)
- 2017-08-01: Estimate the mass of a black hole on your coffee break -- and thank UMD - KUMD
- 2017-07-31: Astronomers have figured out how to simply consider a supermassive black hole - 100+1 (Czech)
- 2017-07-27: Strong association between spiral galaxy arms and central black hole mass - AstroArts (Japanese)
- 2017-07-26: Here's an Easy Way to Measure the Mass of Supermassive Black Holes - Info Astronomy (Indonesian)
- 2017-07-25: Scientists have just devised a way to weigh the black hole's mass: using the spiral arms of the galaxy - SOHA (Vietnamese)
- 2017-07-25: There Is Now A Simpler Way To Weigh A Supermassive Black Hole - IFLScience
- 2017-07-24: Find out how to weigh the black hole's mass: use the spiral arms of the galaxy - Khoa Hoc TV (Vietnamese)
- 2017-07-24: Find out how to weigh the black hole's mass: use the spiral arms of the galaxy - CONG NGHE (Vietnamese)
- 2017-07-24: How to weigh a black hole without getting off the couch - COSMOS
- 2017-07-23: Spiraalarmen verraden de massa van het zwarte gat in het centrum van een sterrenstelsel - astroblogs.nl (Dutch)
- 2017-07-22: Scientists have just devised a way to weigh the black hole's mass: using the spiral arms of the galaxy - GenK (Vietnamese)
- 2017-07-22: Spiral Arms to "Weigh" Black Holes - Accademia delle Stelle (Italian)
- 2017-07-22: Spiral arms to "weigh" black holes - Universo Astronomia (Italian)
- 2017-07-21: Braços de galáxias espirais permitem medir facilmente a massa dos buracos negros centrais - Portal do Astronomo (Portuguese)
- 2017-07-21: Nawet dziecko oszacuje masę czarnej dziury - Kopalnia Wiedzy (Polish)
- 2017-07-21: Now Even Kids Will Be Able to Weigh Black Holes - https://www.ineffableisland.com/
- 2017-07-21: Spiral arms allow school children to weigh black holes - SpaceDaily
- 2017-07-20: Spiraalarmen verraden de massa van het zwarte gat in het centrum van een sterrenstelsel - allesoversterrenkunde.nl (Dutch)