Dr Andrew Ang
Doctor of Philosophy, Swinburne University of Technology, Australia; Bachelors of Mechanical Engineering (Hons), National University of Singapore, Singapore
- School of Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering and Product Design Engineering
- ATC 820 Hawthorn campus
- ORCID profile
Dr Andrew Ang is a graduate from the National University of Singapore and has a PhD from Swinburne University of Technology in the area of thermal spray coatings. Currently, he is the Co-Director of Swinburne’s Space Technology and Industry Institute (STII), Director of Microscopy & Advanced Analytical Facility (MAAF) and chief investigator within the ARC Training Centre on Surface Engineering for Advanced Materials (SEAM). Within SEAM and STII, he leads several projects focusing on material characterisation, mechanical testing, fatigue & durability analysis.
Dr Ang is currently supervising 12 PhD and Masters (Research) candidates and is the associate editor for the Journal of Thermal Spray Technology (JTST). Andrew has been an active member of the American Welding Society (AWS) C2 Committee, and also serves on the Vice President of the ASM International Thermal Spray Society (ASM TSS).
His expertise is primarily in metallic, ceramic and ceramic-metal composite (carbide-based) thermal spray, cold spray coatings and laser metal deposition. He has significant hands-on experience in the techniques of atmospheric plasma spray, high velocity oxygen fuel, flame spray and cold spray additive manufacturing. His area of research has revolved around applying emerging surface engineering methods, novel material alloy systems, and process innovations such as cold spray additive manufacturing. He is also actively involved in various industry projects focusing on mechanical testing, fatigue & durability, fracture mechanics, and experimental stress analysis for additively manufactured metal structures.
Despite his MCR status, Andrew has a strong commitment to pathways for the efficient manufacture of industrial products demonstrated through his strong track record in applied research with Australian businesses, in particular the defence maintenance, aerospace, repair and operations sector. His industry partners include Titomic Ltd (manufacturing), Carbon Revolution (automotive), D&T Hydraulics (mining), YarraTrams (rail), RUAG Australia (aerospace), United Surface Technology Ltd (coatings), MacTaggart Scott Australia (shipbuilding), Defence Science and Technology Group (defence), GE Oil & Gas (energy), Asia Pacific Aerospace Pty Ltd (aerospace), Oerlikon Metco (coatings), and ThermoFisher Australia (equipment). These have been positive collaborative relationships leading to these companies applying for government-sponsored grants. In recognition of his active pursuit for research excellence, Dr Ang is a recipient of several prestigious awards including International Thermal Spray Association (ITSA) Scholarship Award, Fresh Science Victoria, DMTC Early Career Award, DMTC Industry Partnership Award and Swinburne Vice Chancellors Research Excellence Award recipient.
Dr Ang one of the founding CIs responsible for ARC Training Centre in Surface Engineering for Advanced Materials (SEAM), together with Distinguished Professor Chris Berndt, to deliver commercial benefits for industry. With funding in excess of $9.5 million, it constitutes one of the largest training centres of its kind in Australia. He is also a CI of the ARC Training Centre for Innovative BioEngineering (2018-2023) and ARC Training Centre for Biofilm Research (2023-2028) and a CI for ARC Discovery Project on multifuncational high entropy alloy (HEA) coatings. Andrew is a federal council member/ treasurer of the Australian Ceramic Society and a certified materials professional of Materials Australia. He is on the ASM TSS sub-committee member for Accepted Practices and also been on ‘Best Paper Judging Panel’ for the JTST since 2016.
Nanostructured Materials; Materials Characterisation; Thermal Spray and Laser Processing; Surface Engineering; Additive and Near Net Shape Manufacturing
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Available to supervise honours students.
Honours topics and outlines
Next generation metal composite coatings for extreme engineering applications: Many critical components and structures used in the harsh marine environment suffer from failures due to biofouling and corrosion. We have been working with key industry partners to develop advanced metallic coatings to minimise biofouling and corrosion issues.
Fields of Research
- Functional Materials - 401605
- Manufacturing Processes And Technologies (excl. Textiles) - 401408
- Numerical Modelling And Mechanical Characterisation - 401706
Nanostructured Materials;Materials Science;Materials Characterisation;Nanostructured Materials;Surface Engineering;Thermal Spray and Laser Processing
- 2021, Swinburne, Vice Chancellors Research Excellence Award, Swinburne Univeristy of Technology
- 2018, National, Fresh Science Victoria, Fresh Science
- 2017, National, DMTC Early Career Researcher Award, Defence Material Technology Centre
- 2016, National, DMTC Industry Partnership Award, Defence Material Technology Centre
- 2009, International, International Thermal Spray Association Scholarship Award, ITSA
- 2006, National, NUS Students Achievement Award, National University of Singapore
- 2005, National, Faculty of Engineering Colours Award (Silver), National University of Singapore
- 2020 - 2022: Chair, CAMS2022, Australia
- 2018 (current): Associate Editor, Journal of Themal Spray Technology, United States
- 2016 - 2016: Committee Member, CAMS2016, Australia
- 2018 - 2018: Committee Member, CAMS 2018, Australia
- 2019 - 2021: Board Member, ASM International Thermal Spray Society, International
- 2020 - 2020: Committee Member, MISE2020, Australia
- 2020 - 2020: Committee Member, American Welding Society C2, United States
- 2014 (current): Member, Engineers Australia, Australia
- 2008 (current): Life Member, ASM International, International
- 2018 (current): Life Member, Australian Ceramic Society, Australia
- 2018 (current): Member, Materials Australia, Australia
Also published as: Ang, Andrew; Ang, A.; Ang, Siao Ming; Ang, S.; Ang, A. S. M.; Ang, Andrew S. M.; Ang, Andrew Siao Ming; Ang, S. M.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2023: ARC Training Centre for Biofilm Research and Innovation *; ARC Industrial Transformation Training Centres
- 2023: Australian Space Manufacturing Network (ASMN) - MMI-C ASMN Partner Agreement (Swinburne/Gilmour) *; Gilmour Space Technologies
- 2023: Durability and damage tolerance of Laser Additive Deposition parts *; Defence Innovation Hub - Innovation Contract
- 2023: Investigating thermal spray capabilities for clean energy applications *; Rajamangala University of Technology Phra Nakhon Fund Scheme
- 2022: Production of 3d printable antifouling polymers via polymer blending *; Defence Science Technology Group
- 2021: (Student) Advancement of Compliant Multilayer Environmental Barrier Coatings (EBCs) for Ceramic Matrix Composites (CMCs) for Extreme Environments *; Amaero Engineering Pty Ltd - Fund Scheme
- 2021: Commercialisation of Space Vehicle Manufacturing Capability for Australian Export using Titomic's TKF Process *; MMI Manufacturing Translation Stream Space Priority Grant
- 2021: Design of Non-Equilibrium Architectures: Leveraging High Entropy Materials *; ARC Discovery Projects Scheme
- 2021: Developing and optimising of SOFC components *; Department of Industry, Innovation and Science
- 2021: Development of a large format FFF polymer printing capability for production of maritime components *; Defence Science Institute Collaborative Research Grants
- 2021: DST Group - DSTG APPLICATION OF THERMAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL BARRIER COATINGS *; Defence Science Technology Group
- 2021: High Temperature Coatings for Composites *; Office of Naval Research Long Range Broad Agency Announcement (BAA) for Navy and Marine Corps Science & Technology
- 2021: Improving manufacturability of Sr-HT coated orthopaedic implants *; Innovative Manufacturing CRC
- 2021: Process development for additive metal repair and refurbishment of mining equipment *; Department of Industry, Innovation and Science
- 2021: Structural Integrity Of Wire And Arc Additive Manufactured (WAAM) *; United States Army Combat Capabilities Development Command (DEVCOM)
- 2021: Surface Functionalization of Ceramic Alumina Abrasive *; Innovative Manufacturing CRC
- 2020: Smart Coatings for the Next Generation of Lightning Strike Protection Devices *; Innovative Manufacturing CRC
- 2019: ARC Training Centre in Surface Engineering for Advanced Materials *; ARC Industrial Transformation Training Centres
- 2019: Development of metal deposition processes for refurbishment of hydraulic components *; Innovation Connections
- 2019: Development of photo-catalyst coating using thermal spray methods: Pilotstudy *; Lightning Protection International Pty Ltd
- 2019: Phase 2: Benchmarking of Kinetic Fusion technology 3D printed parts *; Innovation Connections
- 2018: Benchmarking of powder materials for large scale 3D printing *; Innovation Connections
- 2018: Boride-based coatings on refractory composite substrates *; USDept of Defense
- 2018: Thermal protective coatings for CFRP - Stage 2 *; Innovation Connections
- 2017: Field trial of prototype hydraulic actuator incorporating HVOF coating technology *; DMTC
- 2017: Hybrid Composite Materials and Structures *; DMTC
- 2016: Thermoset materials scoping studyDMTC Project 9.45 *; DMTC
- 2015: Biofouling and corrosion performance evaluation of carbide-based HVOF coatings - Project 9.09 *; DMTC
- 2015: Carbide-based HVOF coatings for hydraulic components - Project 2.14 *; DMTC
- 2014: High Velocity Oxygen Fuel carbide based coating for marine corrosion - Project 2.10 *; DMTC - High Velocity Oxygen Fuel Contract
- 2014: Investigating the short term biofouling characteristics of HVOF carbide-based coatings - Project 2.13 *; DMTC - High Velocity Oxygen Fuel Contract
- 2013: Cold spray project with Rosebank Engineering *; Dept State Development Business & Innovation Post Grad Scholarship
* Chief Investigator