Dr Abdullah Al Mahmud
PhD, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands; Professional Doctorate in Engineering, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands; Master of Science (MSc), Royal Institute of Technology (KTH), Sweden
- Faculty of Health, Arts & Design
- School of Design
- Centre for Design Innovation
- Department of Interior Architecture and Industrial Design
- AMDC 904 Hawthorn campus
- ORCID profile
Dr Abdullah Al Mahmud is a design researcher and human-computer interaction (HCI) specialist. He has extensive experience in accessibility and assistive technology, pervasive healthcare, privacy and ambient intelligence, child-computer interaction, human-robot interaction, and affective interfaces.
Prior to joining Swinburne, Dr Al Mahmud was a postdoctoral research fellow at Delft University of Technology in the Netherlands. He obtained his PhD degree from the Department of Industrial Design at Eindhoven University of Technology and holds a master degree in Interactive Systems Design from the Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden.
Human Computer Interactions; Sustainable Interaction Design, Living Lab, mHealth, Assistive Technology, Child-Computer Interaction, Ambient Intelligence, Ambient Assisted Living, Design Education; Gamification and serious games; Behaviour change and persuasive technology; Scientometrics; Mobile App Design
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Coordinating Supervisor.
PhD topics and outlines
Wearable sensors to support autonomous transactive experiences for people with dementia: We are looking for a PhD student to work on an exciting program of applied research, in a real-world setting. The aim of the PhD project is to design a mapping system and interface, using suitable wearable sensors, to support autonomous transactive experiences for people with dementia. **Annual stipend $27,596 and tuition fees for up to four years.
Available to supervise honours students.
Fields of Research
- Computer-human Interaction - 080602
- Digital And Interaction Design - 120304
- Industrial Design - 120305
Applied Design Research, Design and Emotion, Introductory Design Studio, Methods of Investigation, User-Centered Design
- 2018, Swinburne, FHAD Teaching Sabbatical, Swinburne University of Technology
- 2017, Swinburne, Dean's award: Outstanding Researcher, School of Design, Swinburne University of Technology
- 2017, International, Adjunct Associate Professor, Beijing Normal University
- 2016, International, Best paper award, International Conference on Educational Technologies
Also published as: Al Mahmud, Abdullah; Al Mahmud, A.; Mahmud, A. A.; Mahmud, Abdullah Al
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2017: A digital prototype addressing loneliness in older adults *; Relationships Australia (Victoria)
- 2016: 2016 Visiting Fellowships Scheme - Jean-Bernard Martens *; Visiting Fellowships Scheme
- 2016: Can mobile apps be used to improve cognitive stimulation for people with dementia: A systematic review *; Barbara Dicker Brain Science grant
- 2015: Creating a decision support tool to understand the competencies and employability attributes of industrial designers *; ACUADS Grants
- 2014: MODE: MObility support for people with DEmentia *; CAESIE Priming Grants
* Chief Investigator
There are no media items to display