Dr Steve Petrie
Doctor of Philosophy, University of Melbourne, Australia; Master of Philosophy, University of Melbourne, Australia; Bachelor of Science (Honours), University of Melbourne, Australia
Steve is an Earth Observation Research Fellow in Swinburne's Space Technology and Industry Institute. He is an inter-disciplinary researcher with experience in satellite Earth Observation and image processing, data science, neural networks, astrophysics, mathematical biology, and evolutionary optimisation. He leads the Earth Observation stream within the Space Institute's Remote Sensing Program.
Steve's background is in physics; he has an MPhil in theoretical cosmology and a PhD in infectious disease modelling. His PhD involved modelling influenza infection dynamics within the respiratory tract, in order to assess the fitness of drug-resistant strains of influenza. He also has extensive experience implementing projects on high performance computing infrastructure, including supercomputers run by Swinburne University, Melbourne University, and Melbourne Bioinformatics, as well as cloud computation services run by Amazon Web Services and the National eResearch Collaboration Tools and Resources project (Nectar).
Advanced Statistics and Big Data; Scientific Computing and Visualisation; Data Visualisation; Climate and Ocean Remote Sensing
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Supervisor.
Fields of Research
- Data Engineering And Data Science - 460501
- Earth And Space Science Informatics - 370402
- Geospatial Information Systems And Geospatial Data Modelling - 401302
Advanced Statistics and Big Data;Scientific Computing and Visualisation;Data Visualisation;Climate and Ocean Remote Sensing
Also published as: Petrie, Steve; Petrie, S.; Petrie, Stephen; Petrie, Stephen M.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, you can update your publications using our online form.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2022: AI and Remote Sensing for Water Leak Detection *; EY Business Solutions Fund Scheme
- 2021: Branding activities and trade opportunities between Vietnam and Australia *; Australia-Vietnam Enhanced Economic Engagement Grant (AVEG)
- 2021: RFQ: Trade Index Model *; Austrade
- 2020: Bionic Vision Technologies *; Bionic Vision Technologies Ltd Pty (BVT)
- 2020: IP Australia Updates to TMLink *; IP Australia
* Chief Investigator
There are no media items to display