Publications and in-the-media
Allen, M., Perry, C., & Kaufman, J. (2018). Toddlers prefer to help familiar people. Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, 174, 90-102.
Huber, B., Highfield, K., & Kaufman, J. (2018). Detailing the digital experience: Parent reports of children’s media use in the home learning environment. British Journal of Educational Technology. doi: 10.1111/bjet.12667
Huber, B., Yeates, M., Meyer, D., Fleckhammer, L., & Kaufman, J. (2018). The effects of screen media content on young children’s executive functioning. Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, 170, 72–85.
Martin, D. U., Pedell, S., & Kaufman, J. (2017). Comparing apples with pears? In Proceedings of the 29th Australian Conference on Computer-Human Interaction - OZCHI ’17 (pp. 518–522). New York, New York, USA: ACM Press.
Tarasuik, J., Demaria, A., & Kaufman, J. (2017). Transfer of Problem Solving Skills from Touchscreen to 3D Model by 3- to 6-Year-Olds. Frontiers in Psychology, 8.
Huber, B., Tarasuik, J., Antoniou, M. N. M. N., Garrett, C., Bowe, S. J., & Kaufman, J. (2016). Young children’s transfer of learning from a touchscreen device. Computers in Human Behavior, 56, 56–64.
Hirsh-Pasek, K., Zosh, J. M., Golinkoff, R. M., Gray, J. H., Robb, M. B., & Kaufman, J. (2015). Putting Education in “Educational” Apps: Lessons From the Science of Learning. Psychological Science in the Public Interest (Vol. 16).
Tarasuik, J., Galligan, R., & Kaufman, J. (2013). Seeing is Believing but is Hearing? Comparing Audio and Video Communication for Young Children. Frontiers in Psychology, 4, 64.
Tarasuik, J., Galligan, R., & Kaufman, J. (2011). Almost being there: video communication with young children. PloS One, 6(2), e17129.
In the media
- 'Toddlers prefer to help familiar people, new research reveals', Babyology, 30 September 2016
- 'Childhood and the touchscreen revolution', Parenthub, 29 April 2016
- 'Here Are The Educational Apps That Actually Work, According to Science', Science Alert, 23 June 2015
- 'Researchers develop a guide to kids educational apps', Swinburne News, 17 June 2015
- 'Tots get thumbs up for touch screens', New Zealand Herald, 18 January 2014
- 'Swinburne's BabyLab researches effects of touch screens on toddlers', Swinburne News, 1 May 2013
- 'The iPad: Helping or hindering children's brain development', Mactrast, 10 August 2012
- 'Touch screen technology and children', Child Magazines, 24 April
- 'Are tablets better than television for toddlers?', Brisbane Kids