Virtual Design Lab
Swinburne’s Virtual Design Lab allows researchers to visualise, model and test systems and products, providing a cost-effective method of research and development.
Our researchers work with the automotive industry, providing services including virtual design and analysis, improvisation of assembly sequences, reverse engineering and human and machine interface studies.
We also work closely with the civil and construction industry and medical industry.
- Stereoscopic Display icatcher Mini- Eon software and motion builder, hand gloves for design walk-throughs
- Auto stereoscopic Display- Scenarios for Aleoscopic screens for design refinement
- Cyber glove II for design walk-throughs
- 20 camera motion capture using Arena for human-machine interface
- Handheld Artec 3D scanner for reverse engineering
- Electromagnetic capture for body movements.
Our current projects
Researchers at our Virtual Design Lab are currently working on:
- a virtual reality-based safety and ergonomic evaluation of above-ground fire shelters
- use of virtual reality tools for improving design process and productivity for sleep apnoea ergonomic support system
- decision support framework for the safety of elderly workers undertaking manual handling works
- an e-plane, an innovative flying machine designed capable of vertical take-offs
- an e-Walker, an intelligent assistive technology designed for ageing population
- a drive train and battery packaging design for an electric vehicle.
Mechanical EngineeringCombine physics with materials in our Mechanical Engineering courses, and learn to put your knowledge into practice. Find the right course for you now.
Product Design EngineeringBest-selling products don’t just happen. Our product engineering courses teach the technology, methods and materials that turn great ideas into reality.
Advanced Manufacturing Technology
Manufacturing industries have completely transformed in the past hundred years — and the pace of change will only increase in the next hundred.
Contact the Virtual Design Lab team
Whether you’re a PhD student, media, or an organisation looking to partner with us or access our facility, please contact Dr Ambarish Kulkarni on +61 3 9214 8264 or via email@example.com.