Swinburne rises in prestigious Academic Ranking of World Universities
Swinburne's performance in the Academic Ranking of World Universities speaks to the quality of our research and the calibre of our researchers.
- Swinburne has risen close to 100 places in the Academic Rankings of World Universities
- Swinburne's estimated rank in 2020 is 269, a significant rise compared to a rank of 367 in 2019
- The ranking demonstrates Swinburne’s high-quality research and the calibre of its researchers
Swinburne has risen close to 100 places in this year’s Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU), debuting in the top 300 of the world’s best universities for 2020.
This year, Swinburne placed an estimated rank of 269, a significant rise compared to a rank of 367 last year.
“This is an historically significant outcome for Swinburne,” says Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research and Enterprise), Professor Bronwyn Fox. “Placing in the top 300 in the ARWU for the first time speaks to the quality of our research and the calibre of our researchers,” she adds.
Swinburne has also improved its position in other rankings across the board in 2020. These include placing in the top 400 of the Times Higher Education World University Rankings as well as in the 2021 QS World University Rankings.
Additionally, the Times Higher Education subject ranking 2020 ranked Swinburne in the top 200 for Engineering and Technology while the QS World University Rankings by Subject has placed Swinburne in the top 50 worldwide for Art and Design.
“Our performance in these rankings demonstrate our strategy to be a dynamic and digitalised university delivering global impact in science, technology and innovation,” explains Professor Fox.
Delivering research with impact
Swinburne continues to pursue high-quality research, searching for solutions at the intersection of technology and humanity.
“We have outstanding researchers dedicated to driving social and economic impact and producing innovative solutions to real-world problems and doing this despite the disruptions brought about by the COVID-19 situation,” says Professor Fox.
Recent achievements include:
- Partnering with CSIRO to create a pilot plant for a world-first process for the additive manufacturing of carbon fibre composite materials
- Joining forces with Able Australia to produce 3D-printed headbands to protect COVID-19 transmission among workers in the disability sector
- Being part of an Australian research team that recorded the world’s fastest internet speed from a single optical chip
- Securing up to $3.64 million to support Swinburne’s involvement in the 2020 ARC Industrial Transformation Research Program
- Playing a key role in the ARC Centre of Excellence for Automated Decision-Making and Society
Academic Ranking of World Universities
The Academic Ranking of World Universities is considered one of the most prestigious and authoritative global university rankings. It ranks universities on several indicators of academic or research performance, including quality of education, highly-cited researchers, research output and per capita performance.
Swinburne celebrates International Women’s Day
Swinburne’s International Women’s Day 2023 Forum has highlighted the changemakers and innovators we have right here at Swinburne.Wednesday 08 March 2023
Swinburne empowers first aerospace Founder in Residence to soar at Avalon International Air Show
Taking on Avalon International Air Show with innovative aerospace is Swinburne’s first Founder in Residence Rachael Barritt.Read more (Swinburne empowers first aerospace Founder in Residence to soar at Avalon International Air Show )Wednesday 01 March 2023
Professor Alan Duffy to lead flagship initiatives at Swinburne
Director of Swinburne’s Space Technology and Industry Institute, Professor Alan Duffy, has been appointed to the newly created role of Pro Vice-Chancellor, Flagship Initiatives at Swinburne.Monday 27 February 2023
$5.2M green energy research hub coming to Swinburne
The Siemens Swinburne Energy Transition Hub is Australia's new research-driven hub focused on energy and sustainability.Thursday 16 February 2023
Australia Day Honours for Swinburne community
Swinburne staff, alumni and community members have been recognised in the 2023 Australia Day Honours List for their service and achievements.Thursday 26 January 2023