Swinburne climbs in Academic Ranking of World Universities
- Swinburne has continued to climb in the Academic Ranking of World Universities
- Swinburne is ranked at 367 in 2019, compared to 386 in 2018
- This ranking is attributed in part to Swinburne’s strong focus on producing high-quality research
Swinburne has continued to rise in the highly-regarded Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU), securing its place in the top 301-400 of the world’s best universities.
Swinburne places at 367th overall, which is up 19 places from 2018, positioning Swinburne in the top three per cent of universities worldwide.
Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research and Development), Professor Aleksandar Subic, says Swinburne’s research has been instrumental to being recognised among leading universities in the world.
“This excellent outcome demonstrates Swinburne’s strong focus on high quality research of world class standard that produces impact.
“We have outstanding researchers and have invested in world-class research infrastructure to support research activities across the university in our exceptional research centres and institutes,” he says.
From strength to strength
Earlier this year, a total of 13 Swinburne subjects featured in the ShanghaiRanking’s Global Ranking of Academic Subjects. Two new subjects (education and law) were included, and eight subjects improved on last year’s position placing many in the top 2 per cent in the world.
Swinburne continues to pursue high-quality research that is changing the landscape of various disciplines and creating social and economic impact.
Some of Swinburne’s recent recognised research achievements include:
- Swinburne and Amazon Web Services partnering to launch an Australian-first Cloud Innovation Centre
- The launch of a new global Blockchain Centre of Excellence in partnership with Capgemini
- Playing a key role in the new Cooperative Research Centre for Smart Satellite Technologies and Analytics – the SmartSat CRC
- Being part of an Australian-led, international team of astronomers to determine the precise location of a powerful one-off fast radio burst in a world-first
The Academic Ranking of World Universities
The ARWU rankings is among the most prestigious of university rankings.
It ranks universities on several indicators of academic or research performance, including quality of education, highly-cited researchers, research output and per capita performance of an institution.
Media enquiries0455 502 999