We know that life (and travel restrictions) can sometimes get in the way. But don’t let that stop you from getting the global work experience employers are looking for. Explore the range of virtual overseas internships and virtual study tours we have on offer.
Applications for the Summer 2021/22 intake of our Virtual Overseas Internships program are now open. Applications for this round close 31 August 2021.
Still not sure?
Working alongside our experienced third-party internship providers, you'll have everything organised including your internship position, virtual orientation and full support during your program, plus a network of other interns to share the experience with!
Overseas internships (including our virtual programs) can be taken for academic credit towards your Swinburne degree. To learn more about this, visit our website.
It's important to keep an open mind with these programs. Most study areas or majors are available, but unfortunately not all, or your discipline may be better suited for a certain destination. But that's the nature of remote work-learning to be flexible! Our team will help give you program advice best suited for your course.
Get in the know
- Work for a company overseas in the UK, US, Asia or Europe
- Show employers you are ambitious, resourceful, versatile, and not afraid to take risks
- Develop valuable, sought-after skills
- Experience language and cultural immersion
- Develop a professional and global network
- Earn academic credit towards your degree
- Boost your CV and gain hands-on work experience within your industry
Specific eligibility requirements depend on the academic unit being utilised, but all students must meet these minimum program eligibility criteria:
- Completed at least 100CP (8 units)
- Have an average weighted mark of at least 60 percent, or if your average is 50–60 percent, satisfy additional assessment criteria
- Have available space in your course for the applicable academic unit (domestic students may be able overload their degree)
- Completed at least 25CP at the time of application
- Have an average weighted mark of at least 60 percent (or satisfy additional eligibility criteria if mark is between 50-60 percent)
- Have available space in your course for the applicable academic unit (domestic students may be able overload their degree).
Have a look at our programs and attend one of the information sessions we hold to get all the relevant information.
Please note that we only hold information sessions during the application period for each intake (Winter or Summer)
Determine which academic unit you will use
Every internship is for-credit, and every student will be enrolled in to a unit of study whilst on their internship. The unit you utilise will depend on your course, and the duration of your internship program. Check out the options on the Academic credit from overseas internships page.
Submit an application via our online application system (please note that you need to complete both pages). You need to select your desired internship program, as well as which academic unit you plan to utilise.
Receive an offer
If your application is successful, Swinburne Abroad will issue you with an offer into the internship program.
However, this does not guarantee acceptance from the internship provider or a host organisation. We will guide you along the process of applying to a provider and finding an organisation.
Yes! There is plenty of Australian Government New Colombo Plan funding available for most of these programs, which is a great way to test out a virtual experience with most (if not all) of the costs fully covered!
To meet the eligibility criteria and conditions related to this funding, you must be:
- an Australian citizen
- not a citizen of, or have residency rights to, the destination where the virtual experience is occurring
- studying an undergraduate course
- between the age of 18–28 years at the time of commencement of the program (there is a 30 percent buffer allowed for students outside of this age range)
Students who have previously received a New Colombo Plan grant for an in-person semester or short-term program are also eligible to receive up to two grants for a virtual program.
For more details on funding eligibility, please contact Swinburne Abroad.
Unfortunately, OS HELP Loans are not available for virtual internships.
Interested? Attend an information session.
To learn more about the virtual overseas internships on offer and how they work, please register and come along to one of our information sessions.
You'll have the opportunity to speak with a Swinburne Abroad advisor and hear all about the experiences of previous students who completed a virtual overseas internship over the summer.