Want to boost your university marks? Improve your learning and academic study skills and gain better results through our Learning and Academic Skills (LAS) Centre.
Help with all your study skill needs
Transitioning from secondary education to a tertiary level can be a big step up. Whether your pathway to studying with us is directly from school or if you’re returning to study after taking a break (or simply wanting to boost your marks) we offer free advice and workshops to help you gain the skills you need to succeed!
Visit the LAS centre to:
- improve essays, reports, critical analyses, thesis writing, case studies, journals, blogs and reports
- understand and analyse assignment topics and questions
- recognise and respond to task requirements, assessment criteria and rubrics
- develop critical analysis and academic argument skills
- find, select and read relevant resources
- develop note-taking skills
- improve your referencing skills
- speak well and deliver strong presentations.
Study skills programs and workshops
Enrol in one of our free programs or workshops to improve your learning and academic skills. Online programs and workshops include:
- Study Smarter Online Program
- Effective Editing and Proofreading Strategies
- Negotiation Skills at University and at Work
- Financial Literacy
- Workplace Communication Skills
- LANTITE Preparation
- Academic Writing Skills
- English Conversation Group
- Communication and Diversity in Australia
- Strategies for Success
- Intermediate Grammar Review Online Program
Learn or refresh useful skills for your study and beyond. Receive individual feedback from LAS Advisors and earn a Swinburne Participation Certificate for each completed module. Start your learning journey today!
- Understanding what Swinburne expects of you
- Planning and organising your time
- Getting the most from your study time
- How to approach your study ethically
- Working in teams
- Effective verbal communication
- Giving an oral presentation
- Writing reflective papers, blogs and personal profiles
- Using email etiquette
- Preparing for exams
For more information, please download the Study Smarter Online Program flyer [PDF 310KB].
This workshop will help you improve your written work and feel more confident about your editing and proofreading strategies.
For more information, contact workshop facilitator Frederique Robert at email@example.com.
Intermediate / Upper Intermediate
Tuesday 6 April, 10am–1pm
Wednesday 7 April, 10am–1pm
What is negotiation? What do skilled negotiators do? Do negotiation practices differ from country to country? What is my negotiation style?
In this workshop, we will discuss these questions, reflect on your experiences and practise negotiation through role play.
For more information, contact workshop facilitator Antje Herrmann at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Friday 9 April, 9.30am–12 noon
- Monday 3 May, 9.30am–12 noon (repeat)
This workshop will teach you how to use financial calculations for study, work and life.
For more information, contact workshop facilitator Dr Elena Sinchenko at email@example.com.
- Thursday 8 April, 1.30–4.30pm
- Thursday 10 June, 1.30–4.30pm (repeat)
This workshop will give you a chance to practice skills for communication with your colleagues, employers and clients in the workplace.
- Friday 9 April, 10am-12 noon
- Monday 21 June, 1.30-3.30pm (repeat)
For students interested in developing literacy and numeracy skills for LANTITE, join our weekly one-hour workshops, Thursday 10–11am literacy presented by Dr Stephen Price and Thursday 11am–12 noon presented by Dr Elena Sinchenko.
Practise your English and learn interesting things about life and culture in Australia.
Start dates for 12.30-1.30pm online conversation group for Semester 1 2021 will be announced soon! Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in joining the group. One of our LAS Advisors will add you to the list.
Join in and:
- learn about Australian culture and customs
- improve your vocabulary and pronunciation
- practise your listening and speaking skills
- understand Australian slang and everyday expressions
- make new friends.
A free five-week program that runs twice a week for one hour. To express your interest in this program, please email email@example.com.
This program aims to assist students to:
- identify your strengths in a global job market
- share your experiences with your peers
- get feedback from your convenor
- improve your communication, inclusion and diversity skills for workplace readiness.
- earn a Swinburne Participation Certificate and credits towards the Diversity Certificate as part of the Emerging Leader Program.
For more information, please download the flyer [PDF 97KB].
Whether you’re starting uni for the first time or would like some additional tips and strategies to help you ace your studies, this three-day virtual workshop will provide you with the key tools to succeed at university. Includes live sessions and self-directed learning modules. Live sessions will be via Collaborate Ultra.
Monday 15 – Wednesday 17 February | Daily from 1pm AEST
For more information, go to the Strategies for Success Canvas shell.
LAS’s free Grammar Review Online Program [PDF 2.3MB] is a free, online program that provides grammar review activities for intermediate to upper-intermediate students from a non-English speaking background.
This program focuses on four areas; verbs, determiners, prepositions and sentences. This provides an excellent opportunity for students to improve their grammar and enhance their general and academic English, both written and oral skills.
This program is free to all Swinburne students and enrolments are offered all year round. To enrol, please contact Frederique Robert at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get just-in-time assignment support - around the clock
Your hours might be all over the place, but our academic support services can work with that.
Swinburne is partnering with Studiosity, a third-party provider, to give you real-time, one-on-one virtual support with a degree qualified study coach via their ‘connect live’ chat. Or you can ask for assignment feedback (including spelling, grammar, structure and more) delivered back to your inbox within 24 hours.
All you need to do is login to any of your Canvas units and look for Studiosity on the left-hand side. On your first sign-in, you have to create a user profile and PIN.