Resources for renting and sharing
Renting a place by yourself, or with other students, can be an important learning experience and a lot of fun. We’ve created a list of resources designed to help you find the perfect accommodation close to campus.
When it comes to finding the right accommodation for you, there are a number of resources available.
- Realestate.com.au: A huge database of private, vacant rental properties to suit your budget and preferred location.
- Domain.com.au: A huge database of private, vacant rental properties to suit your budget and preferred location.
- Flatmates.com.au: An extensive database of share houses throughout Australia: find a flatmate or find an established house.
You can also find accommodation in local newspapers, on noticeboards and at local real estate agents.
If you're looking to rent a property, you can contact a Swinburne housing adviser for information and support. There are housing advisers at all of Swinburne's campuses.
If you're an international student, you can contact the dedicated housing adviser for international students.
A housing adviser can:
- help you apply for properties and understand the process
- give you advice on where you can live, what facilities are available, and what prices are reasonable
- provide information about cultural and legal issues that may affect you as a renter
- help you negotiate any conflicts with a real estate agency or landlord.
Unfortunately, we can't find accommodation for you or make accommodation bookings.
Here are some excellent resources for people looking for rental properties in Victoria.
- Tenants' Union Victoria: A key resource for tenants on tenants' rights and obligations.
- Consumer Affairs Victoria: Detailed information for people living in a rental property or boarding house as well as those looking for a property.
- Consumer Affairs Victoria forms and publications: A list of all Consumer Affairs Victoria publications about renting. Scroll down to "Renting" to find these publications.
- Department of Human Services Housing: Includes advice about budgeting, finding the right location for you and the best places to search for properties.
- Youth Central: Housing and Accommodation: Online resource for young people who are looking for a new house, housemate or are thinking of joining an existing sharehouse.
- RentRight smartphone app: An app that contains valuable information and tools to help renters in Victoria.
- Rental scam warning: Tips on how to avoid scammers advertising rental properties on well-known property websites.
Sharing in a rooming house
Sharing in a rooming house is another off-campus accommodation option that's available to you. The Swinburne housing database does sometimes advertise rooming houses.
We encourage you to read over Consumer Affairs Victoria's content on rooming houses if you're considering this option.
If you’re an international student, make sure you check out renting information for international students on deposits, bonds, condition reports, local rental market and other important tips.
Need accommodation advice?
International students are invited to our accommodation help desk and workshops to get advice on housing options.
Contact us for more information
If you're looking to rent a property, contact a Swinburne housing adviser for information and support.