Our AccessAbility librarians can help you with:
- retrieving items from shelves
- organising extended loan periods or computer access time
- accessing the building and lifts
- searching library information resources
- booking rooms
- booking assistive equipment, including voice recorders and smart pens.
Contact an AccessAbility librarian
Students who are registered with AccessAbility Services can borrow assistive equipment from all campus libraries. This equipment includes ergonomic and large-print keyboards, whale mice, trackballs, digital voice recorders, Pearl camera, smart pens, iPads and laptops.
They can also use the following specialist equipment in the Assistive Technology Room on Level 3 of the Hawthorn library:
- Clearview reader with widescreen
- Pearl Camera (CCTV) to magnify printed text and other visual images to a digital screen
- Dragon Naturally Speaking™ Voice recognition software, which allows the user to operate a Windows computer using voice commands and to dictate text into Windows applications
- JAWS, a screen-reading software
- 'MAGic' screen magnification to enlarge screen text
- 'Read and Write Gold' (also available on the Software Centre as ReadWrite) to help with additional language or literacy needs (such as ESL or dyslexia), by providing extra support with reading and writing
- height-adjustable desk and ergonomic chair
- surge-protected powerboards with long cords and a big numbers clock
- computer with printer, scanner, speakers, adjustable large screen monitor and assistive software.
Equipment bookings or Assistive Technology Room bookings can be made in person at the Equipment Desk at Library and studentHQ, Hawthorn Library, by calling 1300 794 628 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Room bookings can be made for up to 3 hours, and equipment bookings for up to 4 hours.