Legal advice for students

If you need advice and assistance with a legal issue, the panel of law firms contracted by Swinburne Student Life may be able to help.

The firms on the panel funded by Swinburne Student Life can provide confidential legal advice to students on a selection of issues. The service helps students solve their own legal problems.

With offices near Hawthorn, Croydon, Wantirna, Box Hill and Melbourne CBD, our firms are conveniently located to ensure all students have easy access to legal advice. 

Who can access legal advice

All currently enrolled students may receive up to three hours of free, independent advice on any legal matter.

Note: Three hours is unlikely to be enough time for dealing with complex legal issues, and ongoing legal assistance is not normally available. Referrals are not available to conduct litigation or provide representation in court.

Our services

The Swinburne Student Life legal panel can advise on:

  • qualified witnessing and certifying of legal documents, including statutory declarations, affidavits
  • intellectual property –advice regarding your thesis or other works
  • victims of crime – contacting relevant agencies, dealing with police, pursuing compensation
  • summary criminal offences – what to do if you are charged with an offence (e.g. speeding fines or PTV ticket infringements), summonses and preparing for a court appearance
  • family law – advice on divorce, child support, de facto relationships
  • motor vehicle accidents – liability issues, payment options and claim settlements
  • powers of attorney and wills
  • employment matters
  • Freedom of Information legislation
  • disputes with neighbours.

The Swinburne Student Life legal panel cannot advise on:

  • student vs student disputes
  • student vs Swinburne University of Technology disputes
  • student vs Swinburne Student Life
  • migration, immigration, taxation, accounting, bankruptcy or financial advice
  • lawsuits and litigation

Request a referral

Legal advice is provided by referral and appointment only. You can request a referral to Swinburne Student Life’s legal panel by phone or email, or by dropping in to Swinburne Student Life on campus. You must also complete and submit the 'Application for legal assistance' online form when requesting a referral. 

Swinburne Student Life contact details

t: +613 9214 5445

Hawthorn: George Level 1
Wantirna: WB 2.24
Croydon: CF 113

Legal Aid

The legal service provided by Swinburne Student Life is not the same thing as Legal Aid. Legal Aid is a state-funded program that also provides free legal advice, but you must meet certain criteria to access it.