Swinburne has partnered with Good Shepherd Microfinance to provide a low-interest, no-charge, no-fee loan to eligible low-income students.
The StepUp Loan provides students with funds to pay for their tuition fees and study-related expenses. The loan is provided by National Australia Bank (NAB) and a credit check is required.
Maximum loan amounts may vary. Loans start from $800 and can be approved for up to $3000 for tuition fee costs or related expenses. Repayments are set at an affordable amount over a six month to three year period with a fixed interest rate of 5.99%.
What can the StepUp Loan be used for?
The StepUp loan can be used for:
- education (course materials, course fees)
- technology (computers)
- household appliances (whitegoods, heater)
- household furniture (beds, mattresses, dining room furniture)
- outdoor equipment (car, lawnmower)
- some medical and dental services.
You may be eligible if you:
- pass a credit check
- have resided in your current residence for more than three months
- have an eligible purpose to apply for the loan
- demonstrate willingness and capacity to repay.
How to apply
Contact the Student Housing and Finance Adviser on your campus. They will meet with you to discuss the details of your loan, help you complete the required forms and forward your application to Good Shepherd Microfinance for review and assessment.
Good Shepherd Microfinance and the National Australia Bank (NAB), not Swinburne University, will determine the outcome of your StepUp Loan application.