Language, literacy and numeracy assessment
If you’re applying for a vocational education course (Certificate I to Advanced Diploma), you need to complete the Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) assessment.
The LLN assessment is part of the eligibility criteria for:
- enrolling in a government-subsidised place
- applying for a VET Student Loan (including full fee-paying places and government-subsidised places in eligible courses).
Your LLN result will be used to help us determine your educational support needs and determine your eligibility for VET Student Loans.
At Swinburne, we use the Basic Key Skills Builder (BKSB) tool for LLN assessment. Once you have completed the assessment, you will receive a score between 1 and 5 in mathematics and a score between 1 and 5 in English.
Already completed the LLN at Swinburne?
Great news! If you’ve completed the Swinburne LLN assessment within the past two years, you won’t need to take it again.
How do you take the LLN assessment?
You’ll have access to the assessment tool within 30 minutes of submitting your course application. The assessment will take about 45 minutes to complete.
Follow these steps
- Log in with your username and password. Your username is your Student ID number. Your password is swinburne.
- Follow the instructions on-screen to complete the Initial Assessment for Maths and English. You do not need to undertake the Diagnostics Assessment.
- Your score is shown immediately after you complete each assessment. Please retain a copy for your own records. Your results are recorded against your student record within 15 minutes of completion.
Ready to take the LLN assessment? Go for it!
Retake the LLN assessment
Didn’t quite get the result you wanted? You can retake your LLN assessment to achieve a higher score.
Just follow these steps:
- Log in to the assessment tool with your username and password.
- Select the Courses tab at the top of the screen.
- Select View Course for the assessment you wish to retake.
- Scroll to bottom of the page and select Retake Initial Assessment.
Experiencing technical issues?
For help with technical issues, contact the IT Service Desk on +61 3 9214 5000.
More about the LLN assessment
The Swinburne LLN assessment tool, BKSB, is a tool approved by the Secretary and is published on the Department of Education’s website. The Australian Government requires that:
- the process is conducted with honesty and integrity
- results are provided to the student and may also be required to be provided to the government
- results are retained for a minimum of five years.