Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) is a higher education place partly funded by the Australian Government and partly funded by you. The part funded by you is your student contribution, which you can pay in full or partially up-front each teaching period, or defer and repay later with a HECS-HELP loan.

2021 student contribution bands

Annual student contribution amount for one Equivalent Full-Time Student Load (EFTSL)

Band 1

Agriculture, English, mathematics, education, clinical psychology, Indigenous and foreign languages, nursing, statistics.

  • A$3,950 per standard year
  • A$493 per standard unit (12.5 credit points)

Band 2

Other health, allied health, built environment, computing, engineering, surveying, science, environmental studies, pathology, visual and performing arts, professional pathway psychology, professional pathway social work.

  • A$7,950 per standard year
  • A$993 per standard unit (12.5 credit points)

Band 3

Dentistry, medicine, veterinary science.

  • A$11,300 per standard year
  • A$1,412 per standard unit (12.5 credit points)

Band 4

Law, accounting, administration, economics, commerce, communications, society and culture

  • A$14,500 per standard year
  • A$1,812 per standard unit (12.5 credit points)

If you’re not offered a CSP, you can still get government assistance to pay for a full-fees place with a FEE-HELP loan.

You should also check other loans, discounts and scholarships that you may qualify for. You can read more about HECS-HELP loans in detail on the government website StudyAssist or download this booklet.

Expanded HELP loan limits

From 1 January 2020, there will be a new combined HELP loan limit in place, which includes HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP, VET FEE-HELP and Vet Student Loans.

The amount that you can borrow under HELP has a limit set by the government. You can read about HELP loans in detail on the Australian government StudyAssist website.

How do HECS-HELP loans work? 

Through HECS-HELP, the Australian Government pays some or all of your tuition fees to Swinburne on your behalf. 
You don’t need to pay for your course up-front. You start repaying this loan to the Australian Government through the tax system once your taxable income is higher than the minimum repayment threshold.

The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) calculates your compulsory repayment for the year and includes this on your income tax notice of assessment. On top of the compulsory repayments, you can also make voluntary repayments to the ATO.

You must supply your Tax File Number (TFN) when you apply for a HECS-HELP loan. If you fail to pay your student contribution up-front (or defer it via HECS-HELP) or supply your TFN by the census date, your enrolment will be cancelled.

The outstanding balance of your HECS-HELP loan will increase each year with the Consumer Price Index (CPI). 

HECS-HELP loans do not cover your Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF), which is compulsory for all local online and on-campus students and charged each teaching period.

SA-HELP loans are available if you need help paying your SSAF.

In each teaching period before your unit census date, you can:

  • defer all and incur your HECS-HELP debt if you have supplied your Tax File Number
  • pay your full student contribution amount owing for that teaching period
  • pay part of your student contribution amount and the balance will accrue to your HECS-HELP debt.

You can pay by logging in to My Financials. Check your Statement of Account for the amount and choose your preferred payment method.

Are you eligible for a HECS-HELP loan? 

You are eligible for a HECS-HELP loan if you have been offered a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) for an undergraduate degree at Swinburne or a UniLink course, and you:

  • are an Australian citizen and doing at least one unit of your course in Australia; or
  • hold a permanent humanitarian visa and will be living in Australia for the duration of your course; or
  • hold a New Zealand Special Category visa and meet the special eligibility requirements for New Zealand citizens.

Note: From 1 January 2021, there is a 10 percent discount for on-time payments of your student contribution if you pay a minimum of $500. For more information on HECS-HELP discounts, visit the Commonwealth Government Study Assist website.

How to apply for a HECS-HELP loan

You can apply for a HECS-HELP loan online, after you have accepted your offer of a Commonwealth Supported Place at Swinburne. 

Note: The HECS form is a mandatory requirement for a Commonwealth Supported Place. If you are paying your student contribution in full upfront or deferring your fees, you must submit the HECS-HELP form by the census date. 

To apply online:

  1. Log in to My Financials using your SIMS username (Student ID) and password.
  2. Choose ‘HELP Forms’ in the left-hand navigation.
  3. Choose ‘Add New’ to view the list of forms available.
  4. Choose the form you want, then select ‘Complete Form’.
  5. Check your details are correct (e.g. your date of birth must be entered in dd/mm/yyyy format).
  6. Enter your Australian Tax File Number (TFN). If you are eligible to defer your fees to a HECS-HELP loan, you must submit a valid TFN prior to the census date of the teaching period. If you have missing information, you will be required to pay your fees upfront for that teaching period.
  7. Choose ‘Submit’.

When we submit your HELP loan data to the government, your TFN is verified against Australian Taxation Office data. Your TFN must be verified before your census date for you to be eligible to receive the loan.

To ensure your TFN can be verified, check that your Swinburne personal details match what you have supplied to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). If your details do not match, you won’t be eligible for a HECS-HELP loan and you’ll be required to pay your fees upfront.

The personal details that must match are:

  • TFN
  • date of birth
  • given name, other given name(s) and family name
  • permanent address details.

To ensure your records match after completing the HECS-HELP loan application, please check your Swinburne personal details and the ATO’s record via their online service. 

  • Log in to My Details using your SIMS username (Student ID) and password to check your personal details.
  • To change your permanent details such as your name, date of birth or permanent address you have to complete the Amendment to Personal Details form and submit it to studentHQ.
  • If you already have a myGov account, you can confirm and update your Tax File Number details directly online.
  • If you don’t have a myGov account, you can create one by clicking the ‘Create an account’ button online.
  • Once you are logged into your myGov account, go to the Australian Taxation Office and select the My Details tab
  • If you have difficulties using the ATO’s online services, please contact the ATO enquiries line on 13 28 61.

If your TFN cannot be verified after you submit your HELP loan details to the government, we will alert you via email.

If you need to change, cancel or view the status of your HECS-HELP application, simply:

  1. Log in to My Financials using your SIMS username (Student ID) and password.
  2. Choose ‘HELP Forms’ in the left-hand navigation.

Any previously submitted HECS-HELP applications are displayed when you log in, along with the status of your application.

For more information about applying for a HELP loan see our help guide HELP assistance: How to manage your HELP assistance applications online [PDF 260KB].

Assistance and further information

If you need more assistance understanding HECS-HELP loans or have a question, we’re here to help.

You can: