At Swinburne, we understand that you can face challenging circumstances in your studies. However, there may be other options available to you aside from withdrawing.

For example, you can scale back your study load from full-time to part-time if you're finding it difficult to balance life and study commitments. Or you could take a leave of absence for a semester or two. 

Find out more about enrolment support services if you're experiencing challenges that affect your studies.

If you’re facing challenging circumstances and would like to speak to someone in private, help is available. 

You can apply to withdraw from your course online, using the withdrawing from your course application form.

Withdrawal applications received after the last day of classes will not be processed until after results are released.

Fees and refunds

You will receive a refund for all units with a census date in the future. For units with census dates in the past, you will be liable for tuition fees and if you have a government loan the fee will be reported to the government and payable to the ATO. 

For coursework postgraduate students, the process for withdrawal is the same as for any other student group, including higher education undergraduate students. Complete the withdrawing from your course application form.

All enrolment enquiries, including course withdrawals, are handled by the research team. If you're considering withdrawing from your research degree, in the first instance have a chat with your research supervisor.

If you're seeking more general advice around the administrative side of withdrawal, contact studentHQ. If you’re certain withdrawing from your course is the right action to take, withdraw as a research student (log-in required).

If you’re an international student, you should first meet with an International Student Adviser if you are thinking about withdrawing from your course.

Many students can face challenges with their studies, but there may be other solutions for you such as a leave of absence.

You can also email to International Student Advisors on if you have any questions.

For information about transferring to another institution and applying for a release letter, read our student transfer request assessment guidelines

Withdrawing from your course may affect your visa. You must have a valid visa to remain in Australia and we are required to inform the relevant authorities whenever we approve an international course withdrawal.

If you have spoken with an International Student Adviser and you still wish to withdraw from your course, complete the withdrawing from your course application form.

The census date is the last day you can withdraw from a unit without being liable for all fees that relate to that unit.

If you're a higher education student, you will also incur an academic penalty (fail grade) if you withdraw from a unit or course after the academic penalty date.

To view the census date for your units, view your current enrolment online in My Study. To see your academic penalty dates, check the academic calendar.

Need to withdraw from a unit instead?

For information about withdrawing from one or more individual units, see our section on changing your units

If you’re unsure of your options, our team of experienced advisers at studentHQ are here to help. 

Unsure if withdrawing from your course is right for you?

To discuss your options, talk to our friendly and experienced advisers at studentHQ by making an appointment. They can guide you through the process and help you understand your options if you’re thinking of withdrawing from your course.

Make an appointment