Master by Research
A Master by Research degree requires you to demonstrate mastery of inquiry in a field of a discipline or profession. You will undertake supervised research and write a thesis equivalent to 50,000 – 60,000 words.
A Master by Research candidate is expected to:
- plan, conduct and complete a research project or program
- understand relevant techniques in the field demonstrated both by your comprehensive review of the literature and by your research processes
- access and interpret key data in relevant fields
- present outcomes clearly and logically using relevant media.
You must have completed a three-year bachelor degree at AQF level 7 (or equivalent) with a minimum average of 65% in the final year units of study.
You will also need to check the specific entry requirements for your program.
English language requirements (international applicants)
International candidates must meet one of the following requirements:
- obtain a minimum IELTS overall band of 6.5 (Academic Module) with no individual band below 6.0 or a TOEFL iBT (Internet-based) minimum score of 79 (with a reading band no less than 18 and writing band no less than 20); or Pearson (PTE) 58 (no communicative skills less than 50) no longer than 24 months before submitting your application
- satisfactorily complete the Swinburne College English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Advanced level certificate at the postgraduate level (EAP 5: PG-70%)
- successfully complete a total of 24 months (full time equivalent) of formal study where the language of instruction and assessment was English at AQF level 7 or above (or equivalent) at an approved university no longer than 60 months before submitting your application.
Swinburne offers Masters by Research study in broad research areas. Find out more about the specific research expertise and opportunities available in the following areas:
- Master of Arts (Research) (MR-HAS)
- Master of Business (Research) (MR-BUS)
- Master of Design (Research) (MR-DES)
- Master of Engineering (Research) (MR-ENG)
- Master of Health Sciences (Research) (MR-HTHSCI)
- Master of Information and Communication Technologies (Research) (MR-ICT)
- Master of Law (Research) (MR-LAW)
- Master of Science (Research) (MR-SCI)