Film and television
Databases enable you to search for articles on a particular topic:
- Academic Search Complete on EBSCOhost Provides full text for over 1,200 journals covering the social sciences and humanities
- Art Full Text on EBSCOhost This database covers fine, decorative and commercial art, folk art, photography, film, and architecture and includes full text articles from more than 300 periodicals dating back to 1995 and indexing of over 600 periodicals back to 1984.
- Australia/New Zealand Reference Centre on EBSCOhost Contains full text articles from selected Australian newspapers, journals, and reference books..
- Australian Public Affairs Full Text (APA-FT) on Informit Index to thousands of social sciences and humanities articles, includes full text articles from 320 journal titles.
- Communications and Mass Media Collection on Gale Collection of journal articles covering communication and mass media.
- Communication & Mass Media Complete on EBSCOhost Indexes articles in communication and mass media. Full text available from selected journals.
- Expanded Academic ASAP on Gale A multidisciplinary database covering 2000 titles (more than half in full text) and a wide range of subject areas.
- Factiva Contains full text articles from hundreds of major newspapers.
- Film & Television Literature Index with Fulltext on EBSCOhost Includes full text for selected journals and books. Subject coverage includes film and television theory, preservation and restoration, writing, production, cinematography, technical aspects, and reviews.
- Film Literature Index Online (FLI) Annually indexes 150 film and television periodicals from 30 countries cover-to-cover and 200 other periodicals selectively for articles on film and television. The periodicals range from the scholarly to the popular.
- ProQuest Central This database serves as the central resource for researchers at all levels. Covering more than 160 subjects areas, ProQuest Central is the largest aggregated database of periodical content. This award-winning online reference resource features a highly-respected, diversified mix of content including scholarly journals, trade publications, magazines, books, newspapers, reports and videos.
- ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global is the world's most comprehensive collection of dissertations and theses from around the world, spanning from 1743 to the present day and offering full text for graduate works added since 1997, along with selected full text for works written prior to 1997. It contains a significant amount of new international dissertations and theses both in citations and in full text.
- Scopus The world's largest abstract and indexing database. It also includes the journals indexed by ScienceDirect and has 100% Medline coverage. Science Direct is a full text science database with a strong coverage of public and environmental health journals.
- Web of Science Another large abstract and indexing database with links to full-text sources.
- Tip: If full text is not provided use the Full Text? button to link to the full text in other databases (if available).
- Sage Research Methods Online A database of ebooks, articles, videos and other resources to help researchers to design and conduct research projects, understand methods, identify new methods and write up results.
Learn how to improve your research skills - watch our short online tutorials!
Basic searching on Ebscohost (2min 16)
Shows how to do simple searches and find full text. Also explains the Full Text? button .
Advanced searching on Ebscohost (2min 39)
Shows how to refine searches using truncation and phrase searching.
- All Movie Database
- The Big Cartoon Database
- Bonza Bonza is an online collection of national cinema databases (to date French, Australian and New Zealand) prepared by film researchers and students.
- British Film Institute Archive resources online. including BFI on YouTube
- Internet Movie Database
- UCLA Film & Television Archive
- Urban Cinefile (Aust.) Includes film reviews, interviews etc
- The complete film production handbook (Taylor and Francis)
- Filmcraft: cinematography (Taylor and Francis)
- Frame by frame stop motion nontraditional approaches to stop motion animation (Taylor and Francis)
- First Cut 2: more conversations with film editors (University of California Press)
- Set lighting technician's handbook (ProQuest Safari Books)
- Shut up and shoot documentary guide: a down and dirty DV production (Taylor and Francis)
- Techniques of film and video editing (Taylor and Francis)
- 100 Years of Movies
- BritMovie Website dedicated to British Cinema
- Cinema Sites A comprehensive list of news, reviews, studio information etc
- The Encyclopaedia Of Fantastic Film and TV
- Film Buffs Forecast
- Film Sound Information on the artistic and technological aspects on the sound and music in film
- Greatest Film Site
- Innersense Cinema Independent film making and criticism (Aust.)
- MediaSearch Australian film resources
- OzFilm A guide to Australian film
- The RML Movie Page Richard Lowensteins mammoth directory of links to Film, TV and production resources
- Urban Cinefile: Australian and Overseas film resources
Awards and Film Festivals
- Film Festivals Australia
- Documentary Festivals
- Melbourne Fringe Festival
- Melbourne International Animation Festival
- Melbourne International Film Festival
- Melbourne Queer Film Festival
- Melbourne Underground Film Festival
- Tropfest: the worlds largest short film festival
- CineFiles (Pacific Film Archives) Searchable online reviews
- FilmCritic.com Hosts more than 3,000 movie reviews
- Movie Review Query Engine The best search engine for locating full-text reviews online
- New York Times Movie archived reviews from the past 20yrs.
- Moria: The Science Fiction, Horror and Fantasy Film Review
- Women's Studies Database Film Reviews
Gender, Ethnicity and Sexuality
- Gay/Lesbians in Motion Pictures
- Gender, Ethnicity & Race in Media
- The Movies, Race and Ethnicity
- Women & Film Websites Maintained by the Women's Studies Section of ACRL
- Women in Cinema: a reference guide Philip McEldowney
- Women Make Movies
- Australian Centre for the Moving Image
- Australian Children's Television Foundation
- Australian Film Institute
- Australian Film, Television & Radio School
- Cinema and Theatre Historical Society
- Classification Website
- Film Victoria
- Screen Producer's Association of Australia
- Screen Australia
- Swinburne Commons Most programs in this collection are made available (with access restricted to Swinburne staff and students) under Swinburne's TV and Radio Licence. It contains documentaries and a growing number of classic and contemporary films.
- EduTV on Informit As well as significant documentaries Informit EduTV also includes several programs broadcast on Pay TV channels such as The History Channel, National Geographic, NITV, BBC Knowledge and Discovery. EduTV provides content across a range of learning areas including Media Studies, Performing Arts, Politics, Technology, Society, Culture, Visual Arts and Design.
- TVNews on Informit Australian television news, current affairs and selected documentaries from the free-to-air networks with links to the digitised video content in a compressed format.
- NFSA Film Australia's YouTube channel
- Australian Screen Online
- British Film Institute (BFI) on YouTube