News and Trade Press
1000s of Australian and overseas full text newspapers, including The Australian Financial Review, Business Review Weekly, Financial Times and Wall Street Journal.
Searching for company and industry information using Factiva (video tutorial)
- Business Source Complete on EBSCOhost
Search by typing the company name and selecting "CO Company Entity" from the drop down menu for Select a Field
Tutorial on searching companies in BSC
- Business Spectator
Free to register to Australian business news, analysis and commentary from Alan Kohler, Robert Gottliebsen and Stephen Bartholomeusz
- TVNews (Informit)
Australian television news, current affairs and selected documentaries from the free-to-air networks with links to the digitised video content in a compressed format.
Includes programs such as "The Business".
- The Conversation pages on Business and the Economy
Company details, financials and profiles:
- MINT Global (Bureau van Dijk)
For advanced company research, global in coverage, includes public and private companies
(Australian public companies) includes annual reports
- Business Source Complete on EBSCOhost
Select "Company Information " in the blue bar at the top of the screen. You can then search by various criteria, such as number of employees, location of head office or revenue.
Global Market Information Database (GMID) is an integrated database providing key business intelligence on countries, markets and companies. It provides users with historical statistics and forecasts, analysis of consumers' lifestyles etc
Video tutorial about finding company and industry information using Factiva.
Australian Business to Business (Australian B2B)
Australian Business to Business maintains a database which includes 47,685 companies and 56,041 executive names.
- International Directory of Company Histories
Useful for background on large companies. Type the company name in the search box.
- Business eResources available from the State Library of Victoria
- ASIC Search
(Australian private companies) Australian Securities & Investments Commission. Limited information. Click on the Search link to search ASIC's company database and registers.
On this page you'll find links to free searches, which include searching databases for information about companies and individuals registered by ASIC. The free National Names Index search provides basic details about a company. Fees apply for further company details and financialFinancials and Statistics
SIRCA aims to develop and provide relevant global data and advanced tools to promote and enable financial research and innovation.
SIRCA provides access to a range of extremely high powered databases including Thomson Reuters Tick History (data from stock exchanges from around the world), Reuters Global News Archive, Australian Equities Tick History (ASX and Chi-X data), Australian Company Announcements, Corporate Governance Database, and Company Reference Data Library.
Swinburne University has recently subscribed to SIRCA – access for Swinburne staff and Higher Degree by Research students is available by contacting Professor Christine Jubb in the Faculty of Business and Enterprise.
- Australian Securities Exchange
- The Australian Securities and Investments Commission ASIC
- The Australian Financial Markets Report (AFMR)
A statistical survey of Australia's financial markets providing insight of market activity and concentration of turnover, market growth opportunities and trends.
- Trading Room company news from Fairfax
- Yahoo Finance (Aus & NZ)
- Google Finance (North America)
- Money Ninemsn (Aus)
- Stock Exchanges- Worldwide Links
Searching for company information
If you want to learn more about searching for company information:
- Investigating Australian Companies from the State Library of Victoria and Guide to Business Structures
- Free Online Classes from the ASX about trading and investing in shares
- E*Trade Australia Education Centre
- A dictionary of finance and banking. J. Law; J. Smullen 4th ed., rev.. Oxford : Oxford University Press 2008