Swinburne Student Emergency Fund
Swinburne has established the Swinburne Student Emergency Fund to support all current Swinburne students who have been impacted by an emergency such as a bushfire, drought or health pandemic. This fund is generously supported by the Pridmore Trust and our valued donors.
At Swinburne, we want to create an inclusive, equitable and supportive environment for our students to thrive. The Student Emergency Fund will enable students that have been impacted by disasters such as bushfires, floods, droughts or a health pandemic to access financial support through a one-off grant of up to $1,000. We are committed to ensuring that all students with aspirations of higher education and training can succeed, regardless of circumstance.
Available to all current students from all Swinburne courses.
Eligibility / selection criteria
If you have been impacted by disasters such as the Australian bushfires, floods or droughts or by a health pandemic and as such can demonstrate financial need, you may be eligible to access emergency funds.
To be eligible, you must:
- Be enrolled in study units in the current semester; and
- Provide a statement demonstrating the impact of the emergency on your studies. The statement should be limited to 500 words and address the following:
- Type of emergency
- Impact on your studies
- Anticipated duration of impact
- Confirmation that you are not in receipt of any of the following government support payments: Youth Allowance, ABSTUDY or Austudy.*
Include any supporting documents if available. This may include medical certificates, insurance claims, photographs, supporting statements from educators or employers. Domestic students must include bank account statement for one month prior to application to confirm non-receipt of the above federal support.
*As per recent federal government announcements, those in receipt of Youth Allowance, ABSTUDY or Austudy will be provided with additional funding - $550 per fortnight and a one-off payment of $750. Therefore, Swinburne students in receipt of any/all of the above federal government funding are NOT eligible to apply for the Swinburne Student Emergency Fund.
NOTE: If your application is successful, payment will be made via electronic transfer. In order to expediate the application and offer process, please assist us in recording your banking details in My Financials by following these instructions:
1. From the Swinburne website, click on Current Students and SIGN IN.
2. At the right hand side click on the link 'My Financials (pay fees)'.
3. Click on the tab that says 'My Financials (Fees)'.
4. At the left hand side, click on 'Bank Details'.
4. Follow the prompts to record your Australian bank account details.
A limited number of individual grants valued up to $1,000 (one time payment) are available.
How to apply
We encourage any Swinburne student or aspiring student affected by an emergency such as a bushfire, drought or health pandemic to complete an online application form and submit with all supporting documentation to the Scholarships and Orientation team where our friendly staff can provide further assistance and support.
Applications will be considered on an ongoing basis.
Scholarships & Orientation, Student Administration and Library Services