Swinburne Student Emergency Fund
Swinburne has established the Swinburne Student Emergency Fund to support all current Swinburne students experiencing hardship, or who have been impacted by an emergency. This fund is generously supported by Swinburne University, the Pridmore Trust, The Pratt Foundation, The Beck Family Corporation, the Asian Australian Foundation, Medibank Private Limited and through donations from our valued donors, including Swinburne Staff.
At Swinburne, we want to create an inclusive, equitable and supportive environment for our students to thrive. The Student Emergency Fund enables students that have been impacted by hardships, emergencies or disasters to access financial support through a one-off grant of $1000. We are committed to ensuring that all students with aspirations of higher education and training can succeed, regardless of circumstance.
Available to all onshore current students from all Swinburne courses who have completed at least one (1) semester of study at Swinburne University.
Eligibility / selection criteria
If you have been impacted by hardship and as such can demonstrate financial need, you may be eligible to access emergency funds.
To be eligible, you must:
- Be enrolled in study units in the current semester (studying onshore); and
- Completed at least one (1) semester of study at Swinburne University
- Provide a personal statement demonstrating the impact of the emergency on your studies. The statement should be limited to 500 words and address the following:
- Type of emergency;
- Impact on your studies;
- Anticipated duration of impact;
- Current living situation and financial circumstance (rent/utilities/bills payable);
- Employment status
- Details of any government benefits you may receive, such as Youth Allowance, ABSTUDY, Austudy, Job Seeker
- Students must include:
- Supporting documents including, but not limited to: medical certificates, insurance claims, photographs, supporting statements from educators or employers.
- A bank account statement for one month prior to application (detailing all transactions).
Please note: Eligiblity Criteria are subject to change.
A limited number of individual grants valued at $1000 (one-time payment) are available.
NOTE: If your application is successful, payment will be made via electronic transfer. In order to expedite the application and offer process, please assist us in recording your banking details in My Financials by following these instructions:
1. From the Swinburne website, click on Current Students and SIGN IN.
2. At the right hand side click on the link 'My Financials (pay fees)'.
3. Click on the tab that says 'My Financials (Fees)'.
4. At the left hand side, click on 'Bank Details'.
5. Follow the prompts to record your Australian bank account details. Please note, we can only pay funds to Australian bank accounts.
How to apply
The Student Emergency Fund enables students that have been impacted by hardships, emergencies or disasters to access financial support through a one-off grant.
If you are experiencing hardship, please submit supporting documentation (as detailed under the Eligibility/Selection criteria section above) to the Scholarships team via email email@example.com.
Fees & Scholarships, Student Administration and Library Services