Swinburne launches Living Lab
- Swinburne has launched the Future Self and Design Living Lab
- The lab will focus on solutions for the health and well-being of older adults
- Living Labs are impact-focused innovation settings
Solutions for the health and well-being of older adults will be the focus of Swinburne’s newly opened Future Self and Design (FSD) Living Lab.
Living Labs are impact-focused innovation settings that bring together researchers, government, business and end-users to co-create solutions to real world problems.
Swinburne’s Living Lab will be working closely with a network of industry partners, which includes:
- Inner East Community Health
- Boroondara City Council
- Seniorpreneurs Foundation
- Twin Parks Aged Care
- Council of the Ageing (COTA)
Sonja Pedell, Director of the Future Self and Design Living Lab, says she is excited to see the Lab work on projects with life-changing outcomes.
“A Living Lab can’t operate without bringing together the right stakeholders. We are proud to be partnering with organisations and groups who understand the needs of an ageing population.
“We are confident that by working closely with the FSD Living Lab partners and having high level of user involvement, we will be able to deliver innovative health services that empower the individual and meet the needs of the community.”
The FSD Lab will collaborate on projects in four major areas:
- Seniorpreneurship: a vibrant and supportive eco-system for entrepreneurs over 50.
- The Extended Self: focussing on wearable, mobile and assistive technology that supports elderly people live active, safe and social lives.
- My Home and Surroundings Adapted: innovating in the domain of low cost refurbishments for homes, caravans, residential living and care environments, enabling elderly people to live well in the place they call home
- iNatter: using and creating technology to support social engagement and community participation.
A common innovation mechanism in Europe, there are only three Living Labs currently operating in Australia. Swinburne is a leading advocate for the growth of Living Labs in Australia through the Australian Living Labs Innovation Network.
The Living Lab is hosted by Swinburne’s Centre for Design Innovation, within the Faculty of Health, Arts and Design.
Media enquiries0455 502 999