The program is comprised of a combination of academic content delivered through in-country seminars and experiential, self-led learning and exploration across Java.
- Locations: Jakarta, Jogjakarta, Cisarua
- Dates: July 2021 (exact dates to be confirmed)
- Eligible students: Undergraduate
- Cost: A$3,000 approx.
- Application submission: Applications are now open and will be assessed with offers made on a rolling basis until places are filled
- Application close date: 20 March 2021
- Unit code: SOC20009 or any elective
The cultural study tour to Indonesia has been designed to be as immersive as possible. The program is comprised of a combination of academic content delivered through in-country seminars and experiential, self-led learning and exploration across Java.
Some of the areas that will be covered in the unit include a focus on economic development, history of colonisation, ethical tourism, modern human rights issues and environmental sustainability.
This study tour will also give you the opportunity to partner with local Javanese university students, work with refugee communities and visit sites of cultural importance.
This cultural study tour will give you the opportunity to work with local community groups on pressing social issues such as poverty, human rights and environmental sustainability, all while getting to experience the very best of Javanese culture.
Other highlights include:
- visit sites of historical and cultural importance
- explore the beauty of Indonesia’s natural environment
- work closely with local Indonesian university students
- immerse yourself in Indonesian food, music and art.
Jakarta skyline at night.
This study tour offers Arts and Humanities students the opportunity to apply their academic knowledge in a totally new and applied environment. You will gain important cultural knowledge through immersing yourself in Indonesian culture and learning through firsthand experience.
Previous students noted that “the study tour was absolutely amazing and has totally changed how I viewed Indonesia.” and “the experience is life changing and constructive.”
The tour also gives you the opportunity to develop international friendships, networks and a global perspective on current issues.