Arts, Education and Heritage in Sarawak
Bring your own unique skills and ideas to Malaysia as you create exciting content to help community, tourists and visitors in the Sarawak region.
- Destination/s: Sarawak, Malaysia
- Dates: 5 – 19 June, 2023
- Cost: A$2,600 + airfares
- Funding available: A$3,000 NCP Mobility Grants and OS HELP Loans available for eligible students
- Eligible students: Undergraduate
- Application deadline: 31 March, 2023
- Register your interest
Study tour overview
This Study Tour program promotes cross-cultural collaboration with community, artists, cultural leaders plus Malaysian design, media and communications, and technology university students from Swinburne’s Sarawak campus. You will work in partnership with the Brooke Trust to generate, deliver and evaluate content and education programs to extend cultural engagement for formal education (schools and teachers) and public programs (community and tourists).
Together, the creation of content will be developed to help community, tourists, and visitors to Kuching learn more about the history and culture of the region. This Study Tour will have you creating content across interdisciplinary teams to bring alive and make accessible areas such as: street art, coffee and spice heritage, textiles, and indigenous art and architecture, or a topic of your choice.
You will work as part of an interdisciplinary team and bring your own unique skills to work in a group with fellow students and gain international work experience. You will be inspired by the city of Kuching- its history, arts, and people to create an educational product for the community that will give you an additional project for your portfolio and CV while you learn to work as a team to produce content in an international context. In two weeks in Malaysia we will scout locations, conduct interviews, edit the stories and screen the documentary film or digital story to local audiences as well as develop learning material.
As part of the study tour, we are planning activities to National Parks, villages and city tours. We will also be working in partnership with another study tour in the same location at the same time, this is The Mobile Storymakers Study Tour.
Highlights / tentative itinerary
- 4 June: Arrive by this date in Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia
- 5 June: Team briefing, cultural awareness training, meeting of local experts, and exploration of Kuching to support programs at Swinburne University Sarawak
- 6 – 8 June: Ideation, location scouting and project meetings
- 9 – 13 June: production on location and interviews
- 14 – 16 June: editing and drafting project for project partners.
- 17- 18 June: Cultural activities
- 19 June: Presentation & showcase with local partners
- 20 June: Departure day
Which unit/s can this program be taken for as credit?
- MFP20002-FHAD Study Tour 1
- Core professional experience unit (excluding Year 1 or final ready-to-teach unit)
Can this unit be taken as an elective by students in any Swinburne degree?
- MFP20002-FHAD Study Tour 1 - Yes.
- Core professional experience unit (excluding Year 1 or final ready-to-teach unit) - No.
Eligibility and selection criteria
By selection via Tour Leader with approval from Course Director. Application will include a reflective statement of 500 words of why you would like to participate and outlining the contribution you would make. An interview may be a part of the selection process.
Program cost includes:
- Some meals
- Ground transport
- Welcome and farewell dinner
Additional expenses to consider (not included in program cost):
- International airfares
- Most meals
- Academic unit Fees
*Program cost is approximate at the time of being listed online.
The following types of funding are available to help eligible students with the costs towards this program:
- OS Help Loan of up to $8,817 (as at 2023)
- Limited New Colombo Plan scholarships valued at $3,000 AUD
This Study Tour is closely linked to the Mobile Storytelling Sarawak Study Tour. The two programs will collaborate together on some project work and may travel together for cultural visits and other parts of the program.
Information sessions are scheduled for March. Please register your interest to find out more.
Still not sure?
For further details on this program please contact:
Interested in studying abroad?
Our friendly and well-travelled Swinburne Abroad team can help answer any questions about our overseas study programs.