Welcome to Start Talking 2020
Real change is about more than brilliant scientific minds (although it’s a good start). We also need leaders, deep thinkers, adventurers, inspirers, innovators, entrepreneurs, game-changers and science communicators. As global citizens, students need to be able to contribute to social change and communicate their ideas professionally.
How the competition works
We have many brilliant students here at Swinburne (we’re looking at you), so if you have a brilliant STEM idea, we’d love to hear it! Start Talking 2020 invites you to submit a single-minded STEM idea. You will receive constructive feedback for your idea, present it and then work with Adobe Digital Coaches to record it as a 4-minute video.
$400 Judge’s Choice Prize
There are great prizes, awarded in the following categories:
- $400 Judges’ Choice + your story will be published in the Swinburne Newsletter.
- $100 People’s Choice
- 3 x $50 participant prizes
Register for Start Talking 2020
- Please submit a 300-word outline of your STEM idea. You can use this outline of talking points as your guide. Your STEM idea should be submitted during Week 7 and 8 of Semester 2, 2020, via email: email@example.com
- Mentoring for your 4-minute video recording begins in Week 9 and will be provided by Adobe's Digital Coaches. Please check out these excellent video examples:
Nathan Higgins - Winner of Let's Torque 2020 (state-wide public speaking competition).
Amy Xie - Runner-up Let's Torque 2020 (state-wide public speaking competition).
Start Talking 2020 key dates
- Please submit your ideas by 5pm, Monday 12 October, via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Live online event will be held at 5pm, Thursday 15 October
Supporting a friend? Please register as we have prizes for supporters too.
Click the 'register now' link above to register your place.