Australian student visa regulations require all international students to study full-time – this means you can study either 3 or 4 subjects per semester (which is what we call “units”).

As a Study Abroad or Exchange program student, you can choose these from any of our study areas according to your interests. At the end of your studies with us, we will mail your academic transcript to your home institution, so you can request a credit transfer. You can also add a Study Abroad Certificate of Specialisation on top of your transcript.

Browse all units

Credit points

The following information gives you a good estimate of credit equivalency, but it is important that you check with your home university for accurate credit transfers.


3 Swinburne subjects  |  37.5 Swinburne credits  |  22.5 ECTS
4 Swinburne subjects  |  50 Swinburne credits  |  30 ECTS

North America

3 Swinburne subjects  |  37.5 Swinburne credits  |  Approx. 12 US credits
4 Swinburne subjects  |  50 Swinburne credits  |  Approx. 15 US credits

Note: This information should be used as a guide only and you should seek confirmation from your home university. Contact us at for more info.

Semester dates

The academic year in Australia is divided into two semesters:

  • Autumn Semester: February–June  
  • Spring Semester: July–November 

Remember, the Southern Hemisphere is opposite to the Northern Hemisphere, if you choose to arrive in February you’ll arrive towards the end of the Australian summer (bring shorts!) and if you arrive in August, winter will be in full swing before we head into spring. 

In addition, our Summer and Winter Terms run during the holidays, giving you the chance to take additional subjects and get ahead in your degree! 

Want to know more about the entry requirements and fees for your program?

Visit the entry requirements and fees page to learn more about the academic and English requirements for your chosen program, as well as the associated costs.

Need assistance understanding the programs and units on offer?

Our friendly Study Abroad team are here to help. Email You can also speak to one of our in-country representatives.

Speak to a representative

Study Abroad Certificates of Specialisation

At Swinburne, whether you are a Study Abroad or Exchange student, you can achieve a Study Abroad Certificate of Specialisation on top of your regular transcript. In order to do this, you’ll need to complete at least two subjects from the same discipline.

To achieve dual specialisation, two units from each of the two disciplines are required. To apply, you will simply need to select the Certificate of Specialisation option when completing your application.

See examples

Ready to apply?

Great! Get set to embark on an international exchange to Swinburne.

Apply now