The Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) pays for important student services and amenities such as health and welfare services, financial advice, accommodation assistance, advocacy, sport, cultural and recreational activities.
Calculating your SSAF
All higher education (online and on-campus) students pay the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF). This includes all students who are enrolled in undergraduate, postgraduate and UniLink courses.
The main student groups who are exempt from paying the SSAF are vocational education and international students.
How the fee is calculated
Your SSAF is a pro-rata fee calculated based on your course load (number of credit points that you’re enrolled in), up to a maximum of A$308 per year. The charge per credit point is A$3.696.
For example, the SSAF for a typical 12.5 credit point unit is A$46.20 (12.5cp x A$3.696 = A$46.20).
|Type of student||Charge per credit point||Maximum fee|
|National Institute of Circus Arts (NICA)||A$3.696||A$308|
e.g. VC Scholarships, Dean Scholarships, Ext Scholarships, sponsored students (local)
|Domestic Pathway (UniLink)||A$3.696||A$308|
|Open Universities Australia (OUA) — Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP)||A$3.696||A$308|
|Type of student||Rule|
Mix of Professional Placement and standard study in same course
Example: 1 x on campus unit while undertaking a Professional Placement for 12 months
|SSAF charged for on-campus unit at A$3.696 per credit point|
Mix of on-campus and online study
Example: 2 x on-campus units and 5 x online units = 7 units
3 x on-campus units and 3 x online units
|SSAF charged per credit point up to A$308 maximum fee|
|Single course load is an overload i.e. > 1 FTE||SSAF charge of A$308 maximum fee|
|Any combination of part-time and full-time load that exceeds > 1 FTE||SSAF charged against full-time units only at $308 maximum fee|
Some students are exempt from paying the SSAF. This includes students enrolled in the following courses or programs for 2021:
- vocational education courses
- international students in Australia (undergraduate, postgraduate and research)
- international students living overseas (Swinburne Online international)
- Astronomy Online
- exchange (outbound and inbound)
- Study Abroad (outbound and inbound)
- cross-institutional (inbound)
- Open Universities Australia (OUA) — single subject enrolment in a non-award course
- online taught by Industry Partner
- off-campus taught by Industry Partner
- domestic PhD and Masters by Research
- Recognised Prior Learning (RPL).