What study levels are the students at?
Vocational education students (sometimes referred to as TAFE students) are studying certificates and diplomas.
Higher education students are studying bachelor degrees, master degrees, graduate certificates, graduate diplomas and higher qualifications.
Will a placement cost my organisation?
Swinburne does not charge your organisation to host our accreditation placement students. There are some conditions, such as adequate supervision, that must be met before a placement can go ahead.
Accreditation placements are generally unpaid, although payment to students is not discouraged for law and engineering.
If you would like to support any of these placements or require further information, please email email@example.com.
Professional experience placements are a mandatory component of teacher education courses. Each course stipulates the number of placement days that must be completed each year of the course, which is a requirement for registration with the Victorian Institute of Teaching.
For undergraduate students, this will be no fewer than 80 days and no fewer than 60 days for postgraduate.
Placements occur during the semester and provide an essential link between theory and practice. The experience underpins the theoretical and pedagogical knowledge taught in the education units.
Contact the Professional Experience Manager to find out how to engage with our education students by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undergraduate engineering students must complete a minimum of 12 weeks approved, relevant experience before graduation.
Placements provide students with an opportunity to apply their studies in engineering practice.
Contact us for more information on engaging with our engineering students across 10 disciplines, including civil and construction, mechanical, electronic and electrical, robotics and mechatronics, software, product design, biomedical, telecommunication and architectural.
Email the professional placements team for more information at email@example.com.
If you would like to support any of these placements or require further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Higher education – Undergraduate level
If you’re looking to take on a nursing or exercise and sports science accreditation placement student, the following placement requirements apply:
- Our Bachelor of Nursing students must complete a minimum of 800 hours of placement during the course to be eligible for graduation and registration.
- Our Bachelor of Exercise and Sports Science students must complete 140 hours of placement in year three of their course.
Higher education – Postgraduate level
If you’re looking to take on a postgraduate accreditation placement student, the following placement requirements apply:
- Our Master of Occupational Therapy students must complete three blocks of placement during the two-year course, for a total of 1000 hours of placement.
- Our postgraduate psychology students must complete between 60 and 200 days of placement depending on exact course requirements.
- Our Master of Dietetics students must complete four five-week placement blocks in the second year of your course, totalling 100 days of placement.
- Our Master of Physiotherapy students must complete 1000 hours of placements over the course which includes block placements and work integrated learning.
- Our Master of Counselling students must undertake 120 client contact hours of placement in year 2 and 3 of the course.
Have a question?
If you have any questions around our health accreditation placements, contact the Health Placement team by emailing email@example.com.
Our Bachelor of Laws students must complete three 20-day accreditation placements over the course of their degree.
These placements must be for a minimum of 20 days full-time equivalent work with no time limit for completion.
This gives you the flexibility to host the student in a single block or over an extended period.
You’re able to host a student on a placement for as many days as is suitable for you and the student.
The work experience during a placement must have legal content. This can be varied in nature but a placement including only non-legal work, such as accounting or reception, at a legal workplace does not meet the requirements.
Have a question?
If you have any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.