Skip to Content

Student Cards

There are a number of cards you may be eligible for as a Swinburne student.

Swinburne student ID card

You can use your student ID card to:

  • identify yourself on campus and at exams
  • borrow from the library
  • get access to secure buildings

Note: A valid student ID card does not allow concession on public transport.

ID cards are valid for the duration of your course (with a maximum of five years). They remain the property of the University and are not transferable.

Where do I get my Swinburne ID card?

You can get your ID card issued at any student HQ. You must bring along a form of photo ID of yourself.

Cost of ID cards

ID cards are issued to new students free of charge. If you have any personal or enrolment detail changes, a new card can be issued at no cost.

If you need a replacement ID card, it can be issued at a cost of $20. This fee can be waived if you can produce a police report showing your card or wallet has been stolen.

Head coverings in photos

You can only wear head coverings worn for religious reasons in photos. The photo must clearly show both edges of your face and from the bottom of your chin to the top of your forehead.

If you cannot follow these guidelines because of religious or cultural reasons, please come and see us at the student HQ where we can discuss alternative arrangements.

We use the Australian Government passport photo guidelines for ID card photos.

Lost or stolen ID card

For lost ID cards, you should notify the Library as soon as the loss is detected. Cardholders are, under library rules, responsible for any transaction made on their card up to the time of notification of the loss.

To have your lost ID card reissued, a replacement fee ($20) will apply and you can pay for this on campus at any student HQ. Once this has been paid, you will be issued with a new student ID card on the spot.

For Stolen ID cards, you will be issued with a replacement card at no cost upon presentation of a police report.

Updating your student ID card

All student ID cards are valid for the projected duration of your course (with a maximum of 5 years). If your student ID card has expired please come into the student HQ to have your card replaced free of charge.

Perpetual ID number

Your Swinburne ID number will remain the same regardless of re-issues or changes in personal or enrolment details. For example, you will be issued with the same ID number if you are a Swinburne alumnus returning to study at Swinburne.


Transport concession cards

The Victorian Public Transport (VPT) Student Concession Card entitles some domestic students and some international students to concession fares on board all train, tram and bus services, as specified on the VPT Student Concession Card.

Are you eligible?

Students are eligible to apply for a concession card if they:

  • Are studying full-time,
  • Have paid their fees,
  • Are a citizen or permanent resident of Australia or a student with refugee status or a student studying as part of an approved overseas exchange program. AusAid students should present a letter issued from Swinburne International.

Not Eligible

Students are not eligible to apply for a concession card if they are one of the following:

  • Enrolled in a Masters or PhD or other postgraduate courses (eg. Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma).
  • An international full-fee paying student.
  • Enrolled in a tertiary course which is less than ten weeks duration.
  • Enrolled in an apprenticeship course.

Application Process

The Student Concession Card Application Form is available from:

  • student HQ,
  • Premium Stations
  • the MetShop located at the Melbourne Town Hall on the corner of Swanston and Little Collins Streets,
  • Selected bus depots, or
  • The Victorian Public Transport website.

Form Authorisation

Application forms can be authorised at any Swinburne student HQ. You must bring your Swinburne student ID card.

After authorisation, you need lodge the form and relevant payment with the Public Transport Corporation to be processed.