Skip to Content

Advocacy services

If you are having an issue with your academic progress or with your experience at Swinburne, you can get independent advice and assistance from an SSAA student advocate. It’s free, confidential and independent.

Our student advocates will listen to your problem and provide unbiased advice on the most suitable solution for you. We can also connect you to other services where appropriate. We aim to help you to resolve your problem as soon as possible.

The Swinburne Student Amenities Association provides this advocacy service for all current students. It is an information, advisory and referral service that helps you to understand Swinburne’s policies and regulations and your rights and responsibilities.

Our services

SSAA student advocates can:

  • help you resolve issues with your lecturers/teachers or with the University
  • talk you through processes for complaints and grievances
  • assist with unsatisfactory progress concerns
  • help you draft official correspondence such as show cause responses, formal grievance letter and formal reassessment applications
  • provide support and advice during disciplinary matters
  • explain Swinburne’s policies and procedures and provide realistic assessments of your concerns
  • advocate for you at official hearings and meetings
  • refer you to other Swinburne – or external – services where appropriate.

Timelines for complaints and grievances

If you have an issue, get in touch with us as soon as possible. Swinburne has strict timelines for resolving grievances. It’s difficult for us to help you if these deadlines have passed.

Making an appointment

To book an appointment with one of our student advocates, contact us on 03 9214 5445 or

When meeting with a student advocate:

  • bring your student ID card
  • consider the outcome you want
  • bring any correspondence (such as emails and letters) relevant to your issue. 

If you can’t get to an appointment on campus, you can request a phone or Skype appointment with a student advocate. You can also contact our e-advocacy service by emailing

Help with common issues

Other useful resources

Legal service: SSAA provides free, confidential legal advice.

Counselling: If you are struggling with personal issues, please contact SwinCounselling for free, personal counselling services.

Immigration and visas: Please visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website for information on immigration and visa issues or contact the International Student Life team.

This service is provided by the Swinburne Student Amenities Association (SSAA)