Dr Ambarish Kulkarni
Grad Cert in L&T, Swinburne University of Technology, Australia; Doctor of Philosophy, Swinburne University of Technology, Australia; Master of Engineering, Queensland University of Technology, Australia; Bachelor of Engineering, Indian Institute of Industrial Engineering, India
- Faculty of Science, Engineering & Technology
- School of Engineering
- Centre for Sustainable Infrastructure
- Department of Mechanical Engineering and Product Design Engineering
- ATC731 Hawthorn campus
Ambarish Kulkarni is a mechanical design engineer with a PhD on Development of an EV drivetrain for a small car. He specializes in mechanical design with focus on finite element, virtual and augmented reality. His research focuses on product design and development activities. He is best known for his work on the development of human centered products. He is currently working on design of medical, automotive process/products improvements using virtual and augmented reality tools. His current projects are on electric vehicle drivetrains, battery packaging, bushfire shelter and therapeutic sleep system designs. He is a specialist in using specialized virtual design tools with significant field and industry experience. Further applications of his research have included bio-mechanical modeling and virtual sub-system designs. He was in industrial R&D career and became a full-time academic since 2009. His current role is Senior Lecturer-Computer Aided Engineering, with research projects on development of Bombardier Trams, electric vehicle battery packaging, therapeutic sleep system design and bushfire shelters. He is also actively involved in teaching finite element methods, graphics design and supervising students on virtual reality projects. He is a Fellow member of the Institution of Engineers-Australia, member- Society of Automotive Engineers-International and American Society of Mechanical Engineers-USA.
Biotechnology; Transportation Systems Engineering; Electric Vehicle Research; Virtual Design and Prototyping; Design and development; Virtual and Augmented reality
PhD candidate and honours supervision
Higher degrees by research
Accredited to supervise Masters & Doctoral students as Principal Coordinating Supervisor.
Available to supervise honours students.
Fields of Research
- Engineering Design Methods - 120403
- Automotive Engineering Not Elsewhere Classified - 090299
- Models Of Engineering Design - 120405
Product design;Engineering Design;Computer Aided Engineering;Virtual and Augmented realiy;Industry 4.0
Also published as: Kulkarni, Ambarish; Kulkarni, A.
This publication listing is provided by Swinburne Research Bank. If you are the owner of this profile, contact us to update.
Recent research grants awarded
- 2018: Anti-Suicide Capture Device (ASCD) *; Enclasp Pty Ltd
- 2017: Augmented reality manufacturing and maintenance modules in high capacity Metro train for enabling effective engagement and faster learning curves. Project R3.7.9 *; Rail CRC Projects
- 2017: Design assessment and framework for analysing heavy duty vehicles with electric traction system *; Tiger Spider Pty Ltd
- 2017: Design, development and trials of sleep system variants (Innovation Connections grant) *; Innovation Connections
- 2017: Develop and establish augmented reality tools in high capacity Metro train for productivity and quality enhancements (project number R3.7.10) *; Rail CRC Projects
- 2017: Enabling virtual reality through industry 4.0 training for engineering cohorts in rail related projects *; Eon Reality Pte Ltd Singapore
- 2017: Virtual ring application development *; FITT3D Pty Ltd
- 2016: Australian Korean Cooperation for Virtual Design and Construction Technologies: Sustainable Partnership *; Australia-Korea Foundation
- 2016: Digital design process for productivity enhancements in manufacturing industry *; Department of Industry, Innovation and Science
- 2016: Tram Mock up for drive comfort using virtual design tools *; Bambardier Transportation Australia_ Research Contract
- 2015: Odin-E plane project *; Frank Willliam Lee - Research Donation
- 2015: Virtual design development and trials of sleep system variants *; Snugfit Australia Pty Ltd - Research Contract
- 2013: Use of virtual reality tools to improve the effectiveness and productivity of the design process for ergonomic support systems *; Department of State Development Business and Innovation - Voucher Program
- 2010: Electric vehicle drivetrain (AutoCRC C2-25) *; Auto CRC Electric Vehicle Drive Train
* Chief Investigator
There are no media items to display