The Centre for Social Impact (CSI) Swinburne is a multi-disciplinary research centre based at Swinburne University of Technology. Our research strives toward positive social change through improving the systemic and organisational conditions that shapes communities.
CSI Swinburne was established in 2014 to contribute to Swinburne University of Technology’s mission to create social and economic impact through science, technology, and innovation. We form part of the national CSI network; a partnership between the University of New South Wales, University of Western Australia, and Swinburne University of Technology.
What do we do?
We integrate research, leaning and engagement to produce high-quality outputs that are dynamic, accessible and useful. Our research is located at the intersection between social and organisational sciences and the humanities, and focuses on four key themes:
- social innovation
- social investment and philanthropy
- enterprise for social goals
- measuring social impact
Since opening, we have produced ground-breaking research in collaboration with not-for-profit, philanthropic, public sector, and social enterprise actors, which has made demonstrable impacts on public policy. The centre has developed a deep concentration in social enterprise research in Australia. Additionally, we have developed a high profile in cross-sector collaboration and citizen co-production of services. We are also pioneering research into the use of online technologies to measure, communicate and amplify social impact.
- examines responses to complex social needs
- evaluates the systems that contribute to entrenched social inequality
- determines alternative organisational and systems responses to bring about social progress
- tackles problems at the root cause and shares knowledge and methods to create change
- promotes innovation and improved practice to not-for-profit, philanthropic, government, commercial and social enterprise.
Join our mailing list
Get alerts to upcoming events and receive our newsletter. Subscribe here.