How to apply for ethical review
Completed applications for ethical appraisal and clearance should:
- Be on the prescribed or appropriate application form or template
- Be submitted by the relevant published deadline
- Include the original plus correct number of copies.
External and Swinburne Codes, Guidelines and Standards:
Research that has already been approved by a non-Swinburne ethics committee
Swinburne researchers who have already obtained ethics approval from another institution’s HREC may apply for an ‘expedited review’ at Swinburne. Please complete the following form and submit the requested documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org (note that submission deadlines do not apply for expedited reviews).
Standard application form/consent guide
The standard human research ethics application form is to be used for all human research except as outlined below.
Application form for ethics approval
Bear in mind that informed consent procedures and instruments need to be appropriate for the intended participant group; be economical and clear in format – concise, clear and consistent. It is not written for the benefit of ethics reviewers.
Bear in mind that informed consent procedures and instruments need to be appropriate for the intended participant group. Be economical and clear in format – concise, clear and consistent. It is not written for the benefit of ethics reviewers.
Separate/varying/additional application forms/guides may be required or applicable for:
- Clinical trials of devices, substances or therapies
- Research involving significant bio-/physical intervention
- Research involving ionising radiation
- Accessing, using or disclosing identifiable information with consent waivers
- Research that requires external ethical review
For further information contact the Swinburne Research Ethics Office.