Statute or regulation (Act of parliament)
Referencing statutes & regulations (acts of parliament)
|Copyright Act||1968||(Cth)||s 1|
- Both the title of the act and the year in which the act was passed appear in italics
- The jurisdiction is abbreviated and within parentheses ‘( )’
- Regulations, rules and orders should be cited in the same manner as primary legislation: title; year; jurisdiction (in parentheses)
- Both the title of the act and the year in which the regulation was passed appear in italics.
- A pinpoint reference is a reference to a specific page, paragraph or other section of an act, or regulation
- Pinpoint references should appear as abbreviations and a number separated by a space
- Where referencing a section, separate the relevant reference with a space with an ‘s’ but do not use a full stop.
Climate Change Act 2010 (Vic) pt 3 div 2 s 16
Abbreviations for Australian jurisdictions
- Commonwealth – Cth
- Australian Capital Territory – ACT
- New South Wales – NSW
- Northern Territory – NT
- Queensland – QLD
- South Australia – SA
- Tasmania – Tas
- Victoria – Vic
- Western Australia – WA.