In response to COVID-19, Swinburne Library is closed and we have paused face-to-face services. Our online collections are available 24/7 via the library website at swinburne.edu.au/library and our librarians are still here to help you. Contact us at email@example.com or call 1300 794 628.
Staff and eligible students may request material not held at Swinburne for the purpose of research and teaching at Swinburne.
How to request an inter-library loan
Who is eligible?
|PhD and professional doctorate||Yes|
|Masters by research||Yes|
|Masters by coursework (thesis preparation)||Authorisation required from thesis supervisor|
|Graduate diploma, graduate certificate, honours (thesis preparation)||Authorisation required from thesis supervisor|
|Final year undergraduate (thesis preparation)||Authorisation required from thesis supervisor|
Note: eligible staff or students with overdue loans or a CAVAL suspension cannot request an inter-library loan. If you are eligible but cannot login, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
What can you request?
- All material that is not held at Swinburne or CAVAL libraries in Melbourne.
- Material that is owned by Swinburne, but is missing.
- Material that is held at CAVAL libraries in Melbourne only in electronic format.
- Print material held at CAVAL libraries in Melbourne will be obtained free of charge only for higher degree by research students and research staff.
- Swinburne coursework students and staff can borrow books directly from these libraries through the CAVAL membership. Fees will apply to obtain this material for all other borrowers.
- Requests must support or relate to current research or teaching.
- Fees apply to obtain unrelated material.
How long does it take?
- Most requests are supplied within two weeks.
- If you need an item urgently, please fill in the 'need by' date on the request form.
Collection and delivery
Inter-library loans will email you when your item is ready to collect from your campus library. Bring your ID card and a copy of your email notification to collect it. Material that is restricted for use within the library will only be available from the service desk in exchange for your ID card.
If you provide your internal mail number, articles will be sent to your office. If you do not, you can collect your request/s from your campus library. Bring your ID card and a copy of your email notification.
- Electronic documents
Some material is supplied to the library electronically. Formats and access conditions for these items vary and may include URLs and passwords. If the item you request is received electronically, we will advise you by email of the access requirements.
Note: Some material is not available electronically; in these cases, it is not possible for you to request an electronic version.
Loan periods and renewals
Loan periods vary from two weeks to seven weeks. Check the band on the front of the book for the due date. Renewals are granted at the discretion of the lending library. One renewal is usually permitted. To request a renewal:
Items with restricted use
Other libraries reserve the right to place restrictions on material that they supply. Swinburne is bound by these restrictions. You may be required to use the item within Swinburne library, or sign a declaration that you have read it.
Australian copyright laws apply to all inter-library loans requests. In cases where your request would not comply with copyright requirements, we will advise you on alternative access to the information.
Loss of material
If an item is lost or damaged you must report this by emailing Inter-library loans. You will be responsible for all costs and charges associated with the replacement or repair of the item.