|Accompanying persons program
|A welcome morning coffee will be held at 10 am on Monday 26th at
the Hilton Hotel where possible activities and excursions will be discussed.
Some of these will be included in the accompanying persons
fee; other more expensive options will require additional payment.
The accompanying persons fee includes admission to the welcome reception and the conference banquet.
Nearby attractions include walks around
- the city,
- the Esplanade with boardwalk and lagoon,
- the Cairns Central shopping centre,
- and the Pier Shopping Centre.
Other attractions in Cairns include
- the Flecker Botanical Gardens (4.5 km north) with unusual tropical plants, rainforest
boardwalk and lakes
- the Tanks Art Gallery near the Gardens
- Cairns Regional Art Gallery with aboriginal art, etc
- night markets for souvenirs
- Rusty's Market for tropical
fruit and vegetables.
Possible longer tours include
- the Tjapukai aboriginal cultural park (10 km north)
- Palm Cove (25 km north) with shopping, swimming, Sea Temple massage,
- Cairns Tropical Zoo
- Train to Kuranda Village (30 km north west) for lunch, Heritage Market, Butterfly Sanctuary, and
returning by Skyrail through rainforest
- Daintree Rainforest
and Cape Tribulation (150 km north) with Canopy Tower (aerial walkway
- Port Douglas (70 km north) and the Rainforest Habitat Wildlife Sanctuary
- Mosman Gorge (85 km north)
- Boat trips to Green Island or Fitzroy Island.
As a starting point, the following program has been proposed:
Monday - Morning tea 10am, Hilton
Tuesday - full-day excursion to Cairns Tropical Zoo (morning) then on to Palm Cove for lunch (lots of restuarants to choose from), shopping,
swimming, massage and pamper at the Sea Temple (optional). Return to Cairns 3.30.
Thursday - 8.30 dep from Convention Centre to Freshwater Railway Station for 9.30 Kuranda Rail scenic trip to Kuranda
Village (1.5 hrs); lunch & free time in Kuranda village and craft markets; return to Cairns by Skyrail gondolas (depart at
15 min intervals).
Friday - 10.00 dep in bus to Flecker Botanic Gardens 15 min drive from Convention Centre. Stroll around gardens, mangrove boardwalk & Centenary Lakes
area. 12.30 lunch at Botanic Garden Cafe Return to Convention Centre after lunch.
Other options will be discussed at the morning tea on Monday.