Transport Portfolio Aboriginal Scholarship Program
The program aims to financially support Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander students currently enrolled in transport sector related fields of study. The program also aims to provide mentoring and work experience opportunities for the recipients during study and assist with employment opportunities withing the transport portfolio post-studies. The Department of Transport (DoT) is administering the program on behalf of the Transport Portfolio.
Transport sector related fields of study include (but not limited to):
- Civil Engineering
- Civil Construction
- Environmental Science and Management
- Cultural Heritage Management
- Media and communications
- Information management and technology
Eligibility / selection criteria
To be eligible for a scholarship, you must:
- Reside in the state of Victoria on a full-time basis immediately preceding lodgement of your application. Residency details are requested on the application form. Additional documentation may be requested after the closing dates.
- Be an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Australian who:
- identifies as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Australian
- is accepted by the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community in which you live or have lived in
- Can provide an Aboriginal community referee
- Additional documentation may be required to verify your Aboriginality at the discretion of the selection panel.
University applicants must be undertaking studies, in an area related to the Transport Sector, at Victorian education institution and:
- have successfully completed the Secondary School Scholarship stream of the Transport Portfolio Aboriginal Scholarship Program; or
- have successfully completed the first year of an undergraduate degree course in the discipline for which the application is being made; or
- have successfully gained entry into a postgraduate course for which the scholarship application is being made; or
- have successfully completed the first year of an accredited online under/post graduate course.
Note: Applicants in their first year of study are only eligible to apply if they have completed the Secondary School Stream of the Transport Portfolio Aboriginal Scholarship Program.
TAFE applicants must be enrolled to study, in an area related to the Transport Sector, at a Victorian TAFE institution. The Transport Sector is quite broad and includes professions in the following areas (but not limited to):
- Business Administration
- Environmental science
- Business/Commerce: Human Resources, OH&S, etc.
- Graphic design and media
- Road and Rail Maintenance
The guidelines are available to read here.
There are two scholarship categories available which eligible Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander students who are residing and studying in Victoria can apply for:
- TAFE students: $5,000 per annum
- University students: $15,000 per annum
How to apply
For any further queries on the Transport Portfolio Aboriginal Scholarships Program, please feel free to contact Nathan Leonard (Inclusion & Diversity Officer, Department of Transport) on 0429 987 209 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.