The Merna Mattsson Scholarship for Women in the Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities
The Merna Mattsson Scholarship for Women in the Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities is made possible by a generous legacy donation from the Mattsson family. Merna was a long serving staff member in the Swinburne Library.
The scholarship was established to support female students from disadvantaged backgrounds to undertake and/or continue tertiary education in the Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities to achieve their full academic potential, by reducing the need to work outside of study in order to finance their study costs.
Any undergraduate/postgraduate course in the School of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities, Faculty of Health Arts and Design. Online students are also encouraged to apply.
Eligibility / selection criteria
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- be a local student (Australian citizen/permanent resident/permanent humanitarian visa holder/New Zealand citizen);
- be a current or commencing female student 25 years of age or older studying full-time in an undergraduate degree/postgraduate degree at Swinburne in [in the School of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities, Faculty of Health Arts and Design.
Applications must provide the following supporting documentation
- an academic reference - from a person qualified to comment on academic studies, such as a subject coordinator, school principal, etc.
- a character reference - from a person competent to supply a character reference such as a current or past employer.
- a personal statement of no more than 500 words, demonstrating a commitment to study. Students who are returning to study after an extended period of time following a break to raise or take care of a family, medical necessity or other pressing circumstance are encouraged to outline this in their personal statement.
- Provide evidence of financial or personal hardship.
The scholarship is valued at $2,000 for one year only, paid bi-annually.
How to apply
Applications will re-open August 2020.
All scholarships offered by Swinburne are governed by a set of conditions. Please visit our Scholarship Conditions page for further information.
Scholarships and Orientation, Student Administration and Library Services