Creature Technology Peter Luscombe Prize
This prize has been created to inspire and reward an exceptional Swinburne student. The student will be able to apply the prize money towards travel, production of a device, design or object or any pursuit that progresses their career.
This award is named in memory of Peter Luscombe, an innovator and risk taker whose drive, creativity, resourcefulness, and inventive nature led him to serve as Head of Engineering Fabrication at Creature Technology Company, based in Melbourne.
Peter’s ingenuity and relentless drive ensured that within 12 months a complete set of hyper-realistic, life-size, walking, roaring, ‘living' dinosaurs were ready for Walking with Dinosaurs – The Arena Spectacular. Creature Technology Company (CTC) has established this Award to acknowledge the immense contribution Peter made to the CTC family.
Higher Education degrees (Bachelors, Masters, Research Higher Degrees) offered by Swinburne University of Technology
Eligibility / selection criteria
To be eligible for the Creature Technology Peter Luscombe Prize, applicants must:
- Meet the following criteria:
- Australian citizen, New Zealand citizen, Australian Permanent Resident, Australian Permanent Resident with Humanitarian visa
- Meet the following enrolment criteria:
- be a continuing Swinburne student in Semester 1, 2022
- enrolled full-time in an eligible course (see courses eligible in section above)
- The recipient may be a student or a graduate at the time the project or travel is undertaken.
- Achieved a credit average or higher (undergraduate/postgraduate) or demonstrate satisfactory progress (Higher Degrees by Research) in your current course of study.
- Submit a personal statement of 500 words demonstrating the following:
- evidence of passion for mechatronics, or engineering, or product design, or puppetry, or other creative pursuits (making, inventing, creating);
- interest in a career in the entertainment or creative industries; and
- Provide a clear plan for the use of the prize funds. This plans may include:
- travel itinerary: include the people and places you will meet with; include confirmation of meeting or evidence of a request to meet;
- a product, device, design or object that you will be able to produce or realise with the prize; and
- any other pursuit or concept or activity that progresses your experiences and the next steps in your career that aligns with the creative and entertainment industries and the personal qualities of Peter Luscombe, “creativity, inventiveness, ingenuity, drive, and resourcefulness”.
This scholarship is valued at $5,000 (one-off payment), with the possibility of work experience at the discretion of the prize donor.
How to apply
Applications will re-open in August 2022.
All scholarships offered by Swinburne are governed by a set of conditions. Please visit our Scholarship Conditions page for further information.
Fees and Scholarships Team, Student Administration and Library Services