Student emergency hardship grants

Applications are open   Local students   Current students

This grant can help you if you face an unexpected event that causes you significant financial hardship.

You can only apply for this grant if you or your family have a low income (for example, you or your family receive Centrelink benefits).

This is a one-off grant, meaning you can only receive it once while you are studying at Swinburne. This grant is funded by the Australian Government’s Higher Education Participation and Partnership Program.

Courses eligible

Available to students studying any course at undergraduate degree, associate degree or Unilink level.

Eligibility / selection criteria

To be eligible you must meet the following criteria::

  • a local student (an Australian citizen, permanent resident, humanitarian visa holder/New Zealand citizen);
  • enrolled in an undergraduate degree, associate degree or UniLink level course at Swinburne;
  • enrolled full-time ( exceptional circumstances  for  studying part-time will be considered in), and actively studying;
  • demonstrate that you are from a low socio-economic background (e.g. you or your family are in receipt of or eligible for Centrelink payments);
  • experiencing an unexpected event that is causing you significant financial hardship.

Previous recipients of this grant are ineligible to apply for it again.

If you are a Swinburne Online or Open Universities Australia student, you can apply if you are on a Commonwealth Supported Place and meet the above criteria.


Up to $1,000.

How to apply

Applicants must complete and submit an online application form and all supporting documentation.

Supporting documentation including:

  • Current enrolment statement;
  • A copy of your pay slips for the last 6 weeks  to verify your income (if you are working);
  • A copy of last three months bank statements for all your bank accounts to verify your current savings;
  • A copy of your partner/spouse bank balances from all accounts;
  • A copy of your partner's pay slips for the last 6 weeks to verify their income;
  • A copy of the most recent Centrelink Income/Payment statement received by you and your spouse/partner and children to verify receipt of Centrelink payments (if applicable);
  • All utility bills;
  • Rent agreement or lease to verify your accommodation costs.


Housing and Finance Advisers

Hawthorn: Beth Graham, 03 9214 8882 

Wantirna: Glenda Rebeiro, 03 9210 1905