Public transport grant (one month of travel)

Applications are open   Local students   Current students

This grant entitles you to a Myki card for public transport valued at $128 (for one month of concession travel). This grant is funded by the Australian government’s Higher Education Participation and Partnership Program.

Courses eligible

Available to students studying any course at an undergraduate, associate degree or UniLink level.

Eligibility / selection criteria

  • On campus local (Australian citizen/permanent resident/permanent humanitarian visa) undergraduate degree or associate degree or Unilink students
  • Enrolled full time at Swinburne University*
  • Low socioeconomic background (e.g. you or your parents are in receipt of or eligible for a Centrelink benefit)
  • Experiencing significant financial hardship and struggling to meet basic living costs
  • Must have a Victorian Public Transport Student Concession Card or a Health Care Card
  • Maximum one voucher per semester.

*Exceptional circumstances for studying part time will be considered. Students who have deferred for the current academic year are ineligible to apply.  

Swinburne Online or Open Universities Australia students are not eligible for this grant, but can apply for a Food voucher grant or an Emergency or sudden financial hardship grant.



How to apply

To apply for this grant you need to make an appointment with Beth Graham, the Housing and Finance Adviser at the Hawthorn campus.

To arrange an appointment, call Beth on 03 9214 8882.

You will need to bring the following documents with you:

  • Confirmation of your enrolment
  • Bank statements for all your bank accounts for the last three months (which list all your transactions)
  • Current Centrelink Income Statement outlining what you are receiving for the year
  • Pay slips for the last 6 weeks (if you are working)
  • All utility bills
  • Rent agreement or lease.


Beth Graham
t: 03 9214 8882